Palace Malice

Comments

• Palace Malice ML 1-1 [Dogwood Stable, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 16: 7-4-1, $2,631,135]

grade one wins: Metropolitan, Belmont

grade two wins: New Orleans, Gulfstream Park, Jim Dandy

grade three wins: Westchester

Palace Malice is currently on a winning streak of four graded stakes in 2014 with the Met Mile being the most recent. The Dogwood Stable runner is currently ranked #1 in the NTRA Top Thoroughbred poll.

Trainer Todd Pletcher: “The biggest difference [in Palace Malice] is that he doesn’t make mistakes like he did last year. He’s more professional. He’s an uncomplicated horse. He thrives on action.”
  • Palace Malice is running August 2nd in the Whitney Handicap. He will be ridden by John Velazquez. He is trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by Dogwood Stable.
  • I sure hope Palace Malice is okay after that lackluster performance in the Whitney today. Maybe he was just having an off day.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Ray Paulick ‏ Saturday August 2 Whitney Results
    Moreno (@AdenaSprings Ghostzapper) makes his first G1 a huge won with wire-to-wire victory over Itsmyluckyday in the Whitney.

Saratoga track news ‏Saturday August 2
    Whitney results: 3-4-1-2. Moreno, Itsmyluckyday, Will Take Charge,
    Prayer for Relief.
    Palice Malice missed the board completely.
  • I hope it was just a "not my day" moment and nothing else.
  • I watched the race. It was on Ch. 4, NBC. I was hoping Will Take Charge would win, but Moreno ran a good race and deserved to win because he didn't fade at the end and actually pulled ahead a little bit. Palace Malice didn't look right at all. Hope he's ok.
  • I heard on HRTV that Palace Malice is physically OK, just not his day. I have those....
  • David Grening @DRFGrening
    Pletcher said he could not find anything wrong with Palace Malice. "I can't do anything but scratch my head at the moment."
  • Glad he's physically okay.
  • KetaKeta Member
    2014 Whitney Handicap RACE REPLAY VIDEO
    Horse Racing Published on Aug 3, 2014
    Eric Guillot attended the post-position draw for the $1.5 million Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I) wearing a shirt that said "I Got Haters Everywhere," but those who bet Moreno loved the Cajun trainer after his speedster stole the show Aug. 2 at Saratoga Race Course.
  • I heard on HRTV that Palace Malice is physically OK, just not his day. I have those....
    Good, bad days come and go.
  • 3. PALACE MALICE
    (Last week – No. 3) There’s always a danger of overreaction when a horse runs better or worse than expected. Horses obviously aren’t machines, and go through form cycles. But to lose by 11 lengths as a deserving odds-on favorite is tough to swallow, especially with no visible excuse. And according to Todd Pletcher, no excuse has surfaced at the barn, which is at the same time a comfort and a head scratcher. So we will drop him a couple of spots and give him a mulligan of sorts, as he regroups for the Aug 30 Woodward. Pletcher is toying with the idea of another try at blinkers on Palace Malice; the idea is to rekindle a spark in his performance without the full-on explosion that putting blinkers on him created in last year’s Kentucky Derby.

• Palace Malice - Blinkers Or Not

He worked last Saturday with blinkers on. Just to get an idea if it changed him one way or another. It really didn’t. He is a superb workhorse, completely focused all the time blinkers or not. I think Todd’s plan is to work him back this weekend without the blinkers and then make a decision about the race. You can make a case either way. The dilemma is that he works completely focused, but in his last race, his mind did wander and he was unfocused according to John Velazquez – and also according to the result of the race.

He thrives in every way, is full of himself, looks wonderful and I expect a terrific race. It is interesting that Will Take Charge, third in the Whitney, will not run back in the $600,000 Woodward S. - G1 on August 30.

Via Dogwood Stables
  • Mike Welsch @DRFWelsch
    Palace Malice to bypass the Woodward, await the Jockey Club at Belmont Park according to trainer Todd Pletcher.
  • NYRA ‏@TheNYRA 20s
    Palace Malice (outside) also has his eye on the #Woodward as he breezed at #Saratoga this morning.…

• Palace Malice retired
    Nicole Russo ‏Daily Racing Form Friday Sept. 5, 2014
    Following Whitney + subpar works, Palace Malice sent to Rood&Riddle,
    bone bruising discovered.
    Timing + value of horse led to retirement
  • Ah :( Was looking forward to seeing him in the BC Classic against Shared Belief and California Chrome.
  • Happy that his team put his health and happiness first but sure am sad to not see him in the big races this fall. Hopefully, come breeding season he will have a date with The Princess.
  • David Grening ‏@DRFGrening · 1m
    Press release issued regarding sale of 1-2 interest of Palace Malice to Three Chimnes indicates he could return to training in 2015

• DRFBreeding ‏@DRFBreeding · 33s
    Dogwood's Cot Campbell on Palace Malice: "The somewhat unexpected & unique nature of the @Three_Chimneys offer was very enticing to us."