California Chrome

Comments

• Curlin? Ride On Curlin u mean? He finished last or near it, he bled and has not made it back to the races since.
  • The point is he showed up the first Saturday in May, the third Saturday in May and three weeks later, the first Saturday in June. He and Jr and General A-Rod (who I forgot in my previous post) were the ONLY horses that did. The other 8 had a much easier month pre-Belmont. In MY mind, they were the only real contenders in the race. The others were spoilers.
  • And we are discussing two different things. I don't want Horse of the Year for California Chrome... or any 3 year old any year. I want a horse that has proven him or herself in more than one season.
    Just an annotation, but Secretariat was Horse of the Year in 1972 as a two-year old after just one season of racing against his own age group. Of course, at age three, he was again named Horse of the Year.
  • And if he was running this year, I'd say the same thing. I don't want a 3 year old Horse of the Year. They've proved nothing. Three year olds are like high school athletes and we all know where most of them end up... on the couch watching college sports.
  • And we are discussing two different things. I don't want Horse of the Year for California Chrome... or any 3 year old any year. I want a horse that has proven him or herself in more than one season.
    I can understand that point of view, but the award is horse of the year. It doesn't really matter how many years they have raced, because the award is just looking at what they have done that year.

• whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited October 2014
    Yes, and if Jr is a serious contender, every colt horse that wins two big stakes races in one year must also be considered. How many is that?

If a three year old is going to win, IMO it should be Junior. He did the most of any of this year's babies.
  • California Chrome (3-Year-Old Colt)
    Date: October 11, 2014
    Track: LOS ALAMITOS
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 59:60 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • He had a woman with cancer visit him back in august and he was the sweetest boy with the woman. Ill get the story:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/10/10/4171815/fresno-woman-with-terminal-cancer.html
  • Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    Another sharp, easy work for California Chrome with @EspinozasVictor up, 5/8 59.60 at Los Al, out 1:13.20. #bcclassic
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited October 2014
    bah, nvm the white threw me off, used to the purple and green!
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
    Well, he already wears blinkers in his races
  • 201 pre-entered for Breeders' Cup
    By Jack Shinar | Bloodhorse.com Updated: October 22, 2014, 2:40 PM ET
    The Breeders' Cup unveiled its pre-entrants for the 31st annual World Championships the morning of Oct. 22 at Santa Anita Park, with 201 horses named for the 13-race festival Friday and Saturday, Oct. 31 and Nov. 1.
    A face-off between undefeated Shared Belief and dual classic winner California Chrome will anchor this year's event in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic. The race will include fellow 3-year-old standouts Tonalist and Bayern.
    The pre-entrants include 37 individual winners from the Breeders' Cup "Win & You're In" Challenge series races and 38 overseas stars. Among the horses named to the first stage are returning winners Goldencents (Mile), Ria Antonia (Distaff), Dank (Filly & Mare Turf), Secret Circle (Xpressbet Sprint), and Magician (Longines Turf).
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/11745449/201-runners-pre-entered-breeders-cup
    From article:
    Final entries are due Monday, Oct. 27, with the post-position selection draw for the 2014 Breeders' Cup set for Wednesday, Oct. 29. The Breeders' Cup will be televised live by NBCSN and NBC, with the Breeders' Cup Classic to be broadcast live and in prime time Nov. 1 on NBC from 8-9 p.m. EDT.
    And...
    Scratch time Oct. 31 for all championships races is at 8 a.m. PDT.
  • I am already worried that CC is going to get a bad post position again.
  • I feel like the people responsible for post positions do it on purpose. But hes running in Claifornia this time, so lets hope his home state gives him luck.
  • Oh dear, my heart broke a bit. If Chrome doesnt run well in the BC, he will be retired.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88237/chrome-facing-retirement-with-poor-bc-effort
  • Oh dear, my heart broke a bit. If Chrome doesnt run well in the BC, he will be retired.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88237/chrome-facing-retirement-with-poor-bc-effort
    Feels like the statement was made as a precursor to a done deal. If he's retired I just don't see there being much interest (I hate to say that, but most likely true). Makes me wonder if the owners have been in talks already with Japan or Korea.
  • Ed Burgart on Saturday Oct. 25, 2014
    Victor Espinoza was aboard California Chrome for strong 5 furlong work of 59 3/5 today at Los Al. Galloped out 6 furlongs in 1:12 flat.
    Strong work by California Chrome at Los Al a few minutes ago Looked great in flesh and went 5 furlongs in 59 3/5. Splits of 24 1/5 and 48.
  • If there isn't much breeding interest here... but certainly there is more for a Derby/Preakness winner than for any of the other 3 year old "retired" this year... Coburn and Martin SHOULD be talking with foreign breeders. It IS a business.
  • edited October 2014
    If there isn't much breeding interest here... but certainly there is more for a Derby/Preakness winner than for any of the other 3 year old "retired" this year... Coburn and Martin SHOULD be talking with foreign breeders. It IS a business.
    Just wondering if they've talked to Japan and/or Korean interests doesn't mean one is suggesting they Shouldn't be doing that. I don't think the level of interest in standing CC at stud is going to be any higher than it was for I'll Have Another (maybe less). Coburn and Martin don't have the same resources, of let’s say a Ramsey Farms, to "make" their stallion. They may find themselves in a situation where the best interest of CC coincides with the opportunity to profit financially. Making a profit is not wrong and does not equate with not caring about the welfare of the horse. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Who knows, maybe he'll stand at Harris Farms.
  • I've seen a lot of talk, even in the Bloodhorse article comments, that people think California Chrome will be retired even if he wins the classic and many people believe he will go to Japan. Some people think the big breeding farms in the east don't want to deal with the owners. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
    Coburn really liked Kentucky. They hated Churchill though. Coburn visited Old Friends and really loved it there. He could very well stand at Harris Farms, they bred and raised him. His whole family is there really. His sire, his dam, his two full sisters. It would be quite a treat to see him standing there, coming full circle. Would make the staff very happy, they miss him.