U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• I believe every state should accept ballots by all registered voters for primaries. We have open primaries, closed primaries, semi-closed primaries according to the state. If I'm a registered voter (R, D, I) I should be able to vote in any and all primaries. Florida is a closed primary state that has approximately 3 million Independent registered voters - they should have a say ....
  • I could get on board. Lets break this two party system.
  • Megan Fox is having a fit over alleged media credentials being pulled by the Trump camp.
    Crying freedom of the press.
    Funny how personal responsibility works. Good for everybody else. The Media has gone further and further away from learned journalism and the idea of responsible reporting and is chasing the hits of the basement blogger.
    Funny stuff.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited March 2016
    Win or lose, Bernie Sanders has changed Hillary Clinton
    Liz Goodwin - Senior National Affairs Reporter
    March 14, 2016

At the CNN Democratic debate in Flint, Mich., earlier this month, Bernie Sanders used his opening statement to call for the governor of Michigan to resign over the city’s lead crisis, a position Sanders staked out months ago.

“I believe the governor of [Michigan] should understand that his dereliction of duty was irresponsible. He should resign,” Sanders said.

When Hillary Clinton got her turn to open, she echoed Sanders’ stance for the first time.

“Amen to that,” she said. “I agree. The governor should resign or be recalled.”

This new position was a surprise to anyone who tuned in to the debate’s preshow, where Clinton spokesman Brian Fallon told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that if the governor stepped down, it wouldn’t “make a difference in the everyday lives of the people” of Flint.

But the change shouldn’t have been too shocking, since Clinton has matched Sanders’ positions on a whole host of issues during the unexpectedly hard-fought Democratic contest between them — a tactic that has implications for the former secretary of state as she attempts to move past Sanders and position herself for the general election. Clinton calls Sanders a “single issue” candidate on the stump, but the 74-year-old senator from Vermont has pushed Clinton to the left on far more than Wall Street reform, his most high-profile campaign agenda.

“Bernie has had great success in getting Hillary Clinton to adopt his issues and his rhetoric during the course of this campaign,” Sanders’ chief strategist Tad Devine said after the Democratic debate in Miami last Wednesday. “Let’s talk about the [Trans-Pacific Partnership], for example, which she evolved from someone who praised it on the record 45 times and calling it the ‘gold standard’ of trade agreements to opposing it.”

Clinton says she changed her mind on the TPP after it evolved into a deal she couldn’t support. Her run against Sanders has put her in the awkward position of opposing free trade, when she has a long record of supporting trade deals. In the Miami debate, Clinton boasted that she “voted against the only multinational trade agreement that came before me when I was in the Senate.”

lots more flip-flopping
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/win-or-lose-bernie-sanders-has-changed-hillary-155024964.html

• I'm still grinning. I was in the waiting room at my ophthalmologist's office this afternoon. An older couple next to me were discussing the primary yesterday. She was saying she will never vote early again - "I was so upset that I voted for Marco Rubio, thinking he was the "All-American Cuban" boy, then he stoops to the level of a barbarian, talking about hand size, male parts and whatever else. If I had heard that I never would have voted for him." :-)

P.S: Whoodler, I'm not a Hillary fan..... :-)
  • BigH
    This is sort of a free country. It's ok for EVERYBODY to be a fan of ANYBODY. I used to be a Hil fan, but I think she... and her ideas... are now over the hill. And so am I. Picking between her, Sanders, Cruz and Rubio is picking between more of the same boondoggle in different guises. I want change. If that change takes us in directions better not explored, we vote again in four years.
  • No more debates for Trump? Lol...those looking for a contested convention are calling foul.
  • He said in the interview immediately after last week's debate that it was a great way to end the debates. A few minutes later, Ted Cruz said the exactly the same thing. Now FOX is saying the next TWO debates had already been planned before that. Maybe they should have asked the candidates... and the viewing public (anyone here besides me watching?)... if they wanted more instead of just assuming it. How many different ways can the same... "moderators"... ask Trump the same candidates the same questions?

And as far as a "contested convention," how many people understand what that is about? How many people understand that primaries do not result in THE candidate for whichever party? How many people realize primaries just whittle the field down to 2 possibilities and the party big wigs choose... and will go to someone else if they don't like the 2 possibilities? Not many. And that is going to make the GOP contested convention of '64 look like a picnic in the park if it happens this year with the Republicans.

Plus, how many people know the vote in November does not decide the next president? The Electoral College does.

Not exactly sure WHY we "vote for President" the way we do in this country. Well, yes I do... and it is probably exactly why it is set up the way it is.
  • A prime example: A candidate could lose the popular vote and win the electoral college vote. This happened to George W. Bush in 2000, who lost the popular vote to Al Gore by 0.51% but won the electoral college 271 to 266.
  • tincuptincup Member
    edited March 2016
    The RNC is pretty straight forward in picking its candidate. You get the majority, you are the pick. It has never gone a different way as far as I know.
    The contested convention of 1860 that result in the choice of A. Lincoln was only up for contention because Seward did not have a majority. He had more...just not the majority.
    The convention of 1976 was another example of the principles not getting there with enough delegates. They chose G. Ford and lost...That convention gave us Ronald Reagan.
    So...if Trump gets to the convention with the majority s, set at 1237 delegates, he will be the candidate. The GOP must, must, must endors him. They will not, nor can not deny.
    Now, that gives the GOP only two options. Pump money into the Cruz camp and start spliting delegates, or advance a third choice to polarize the voter and go into a contest in which they can choose using the unbound delegates given to rubio or K.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited March 2016
    John Quincy Adams, who won neither the Electoral College nor the the popular vote. The House elected him in a run-off vote (as provided for in the 12th Amendment).
  • John Quincy Adams, who won neither the Electoral College nor the the popular vote. The House elected him in a run-off vote (as provided for in the 12th Amendment).
    Nice pull.
  • Paul Ryan said no go for him - we shall see. The carrot is dangling in front of his nose. He was happy to run on the ticket as a Vice-President candidate with Mitt Romney. Gotta love this election year - stay tuned, more to come..... :-)
  • Ah, the benefits for a classic, Jesuit education!
    John Quincy Adams, who won neither the Electoral College nor the the popular vote. The House elected him in a run-off vote (as provided for in the 12th Amendment).

Nice pull.
  • " Trump Warns of Riots If He Doesn't Get GOP Nomination."
    Where's Rod Serling?
  • I don't understand, BH. Reporters, commentators, plain ol' talking heads have been warning for weeks that if Trump goes into the convention with the most votes and doesn't get the nom, there will be riots. Why is it a big deal then when Trump says the same thing?
  • At least the Republic Party doesn't have super delegates which are unbound delegates that can vote for anyone at the convention. Which means Bernie could go in with the popular vote coming out of the primary and caucuses but Hillary can get the nomination because that what the super delegates want. It should also be noted that since there have been super delegates they have never gone against the popular vote.
  • When I see Hannity turning purple, as he stumbles his way through a rant about the peoples voice, I cant help remembering his purple face explaining the electoral College in the race mentioned by @bigherbie.
    Its frustrating to watch , otherwise smart people, not accept such a simple concept.
  • Actually, delegates are bound on only the first vote. After that, they can vote for anyone. Which is what the GOP big wigs are counting on to get past Trump and Cruz to Kasich.

Re Ryan...
    he wouldn't take the Speaker job without being guaranteed evenings and weekends off. Wonder what he'd want to be prez.
  • tincuptincup Member
    edited March 2016
    Wait...
    The first vote can include unbound votes. In some states, Delegates are not bound to the vote if the candidate bows out. Some states still are. On the second vote the bounded votes to a person no longer in the race are released. Only those. After the second vote, a limited amount of bounded votes of current participates are released to vote conscience. And so on, til a person is chosen.
    This is what I understand about RNC.
    In a sense, I understand the frustration of the process. Its one of the banes of the two party system.
  • Thanks for the clarification. I just read an article on yahoonews that explained it differently... little Marco's, Carson's and soon, if you believe the rumors, Kasich's, are up for grabs immediately. However, it is late and I'm tired so who knows what the article really does say! 'Night.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited March 2016
    States can have differing rules for how long the delegates are bound to a candidate. However, if no majority is reached by the third ballot, then the majority of delegates are released ( able to back any candidate) in order try and reach a majority.
    However, the 'commitee ' of 112 can change and have changed the rules at virtually any time!
  • tincuptincup Member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks Whoodler. Thank you Wezzie
    It`s gonna be a long hot summer.
    Nite
  • KMMKMM Member
    Developments could get out of current U.S experience with this election...:)
  • I don't understand, BH. Reporters, commentators, plain ol' talking heads have been warning for weeks that if Trump goes into the convention with the most votes and doesn't get the nom, there will be riots. Why is it a big deal then when Trump says the same thing?
    House Speaker Paul Ryan said it was “unacceptable” for Donald Trump to suggest there would be rioting if he is not chosen as the Republican nominee, NBC News reported. "Nobody should say such things in my opinion because to even address or hint to violence is unacceptable," he told reporters on Capitol Hill.

I agree. This was the primetime opportunity for Trump to not incite his "frenzied" supporters but to say any type of violence during my campaign is unacceptable. Instead he made another ridiculous statement that will just fan the flames - stay tuned - I'm sure it's going to be interesting ... hopefully not a repeat of 1968 ...