Songbird (Medaglia d'Oro - Ivanavinalot, by West Acre)

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Okay, this has given me leeway to rant a bit: Why can't more owners be like the Zayats were with AP? They worried and were careful about him, sure. But after the 2015 Breeder's Cup, Mr. Zayat was quoted as saying he was disappointed Beholder did not show.... Because he said it would have been a great race, and it would have. It would have been one of the great races of all time, and American Pharaoh's connections were well and truly disappointed that such a sport-raising event did not take place. What Mr. Zayat didn't say "Oh, if Beholder goes into that race, we'll likely not go to the Breeder's Cup Classic.", or "We're glad that Beholder missed the race, so it could be easier on us." That sounds almost like one of those demotivational posters.
    Now you might say "Well, American Pharaoh was a male, and a Triple Crown winner at the top of his game." Yes this is true, however; even Songbird's connections have been toting that she's the best 3 yr. old out there right now. This is not without cause: she is undefeated, winning her victories by no less than 3 1/4 lengths, and she looks like she's getting stronger by the day. You don't just go out there bragging about the ability of your horse, then gingerly step around any competition worthy of her. It's disgraceful and degrading to her as an athlete, it's disappointing and dismissive for the general public, and--if you're into that kind of thing-- it's bad for betting, but overall: it weakens the sport to see such a brilliant filly, with such fantastic ability, squandered and hidden from her true potential. This saddens me.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited June 2016
    I agree 100% with your post @RebornRuffian12. I know the Zayats have their critics, but they gained my respect by the way they handled AP. They were never scared of a race (the Spa seemed like a big risk and yet they took a chance, didn't work out, but they did it) and wanted to share him as much as possible. I also liked how Mr. Zayat repeatedly and sincerely said that he was rooting for Nyquist to win the Triple Crown this year (when all the buzz was happening), because it would be good and exciting for the sport--no jealousy, no desire to keep AP "special," just being genuine. Anyway, the Zayats may have spoiled me a bit with their handling of AP. I also have to give a shout out to the owners of Frosted. That poor colt chased AP all last year, but they never said, "There's no way Frosted can't beat AP, so we'll go here instead of there" and run the less prestigious races against easier competition.
  • Precisely, @Lioness.
  • NYRA Boosts CCA Oaks Purse, Lands Songbird

Fox Hill Farms' undefeated champion filly Songbird will be pointed to the Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I), which will feature a purse boost to $500,000, for her next start July 24 at Saratoga Race Course.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/213071/nyra-boosts-cca-oaks-purse-lands-songbird
  • KMMKMM Member
    Looking forward to Saratoga!
  • Fly, little Songbird, Fly!!
  • SarahSarah MaineMember
    Songbird is a beauty. Looking forward to her race.
  • This is the Fox Hill Farm facebook site. There are some pics of the Mercer County abandoned horses, but then there are some greatvpics of Songbird and other fox Hill racehorses. There are some great pics of someone in a Songbird costume posing with fans. What a good idea.

https://m.facebook.com/page/mediaset.php?id=149399288440985&album=pb.149399288440985
  • KetaKeta Member
    TVG Sunday July 17 2016
    Exciting post on the @Fox_Hill_Farm Facebook page this morning! #Songbird
    #Saratoga

• Awesome! Now get her running against worthy competition ._.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Excellent article on Songbird's pedigree
    A Song in an Everlasting Garden
    By Robert D. Fierro The Blood-Horse Pedigree Weekly July 21 2016
    Nearly two years ago a yearling filly by Medaglia d’Oro carrying #28 on her hip was getting a great deal of action at the Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency consignment on the sale grounds at Fasig-Tipton Saratoga. We thought she was an exceptional beauty, and her overall balance prompted us to analyze her biomechanically.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/newsletters/pedigree-weekly/

• KetaKeta Member
    @Mike_MacAdam on Thursday July 21 2016
    Songbird, just chilling at Wesley Ward's barn.
    Had a light jog very early this AM at Saratoga

• ZenyenZenyen Member
    Has she been temporarily transferred to Ward for her East Coast stay?
  • Purse being bumped up $200K just for her:

Songbird is entered to run on July 24, 2016, at SARATOGA.

Race: 10 - 6:18 PM

STAKES
    Coaching Club American Oaks S. - Grade: 1

Purse: $ 300,000. For Fillies Three Years Old. By Subscription Of $300 Each Which Should Accompany The Nomination; $1,500 To Pass The Entry Box And An Additional $1,500 To Start. For Horses Not Originally Nominated, A Supplemental Payment Of $3,000 Along With The Entry And starting fees may be made at any time prior to the closing of entries. The purse to be divided 60% to the winner, 20% to second, 10% to third, 5% to fourth, 3% to fifth and 2% divided equally among the remaining finishers. Should the winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies start in the Coaching Club American Oaks the purse will be elevated to $500,000; the purse will be distributed accordingly. 121 lbs. Trophies will be presented to the winning owner, trainer and jockey. Closed Saturday, July 9, 2016 with 17 Nominations. One And One Eighth Miles.

PP Horse A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer
    1 Songbird 3/F L Mike E. Smith 121 Jerry Hollendorfer
  • "...3% to fifth and 2% divided equally among the remaining finishers." They'll have trouble with that one, for only five are entered and it's possible only four will start, with Flora Dora also looking at the G2T Lake George tomorrow instead of the G1 CCA Oaks on Sunday. We'll know tomorrow I guess.

By the way, I'm going Songbird over Carina Mia, then Weep No More over Mo d'Amour with Flora Dora, if she runs, finishing last. Not betting but that's the result I see.

1-2-4-5-3 :)
  • A tiny but stellar field.
  • KMMKMM Member
    From the Blood horse pedigree article, she has some fancy ties a few generations back in the great Blue Hen mares Flower Bowl and Boudoir! Related directly in her dam's line to Graustark and his brother as well.
  • Keta said:

Excellent article on Songbird's pedigree
    A Song in an Everlasting Garden
    By Robert D. Fierro The Blood-Horse Pedigree Weekly July 21 2016
    Nearly two years ago a yearling filly by Medaglia d’Oro carrying #28 on her hip was getting a great deal of action at the Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency consignment on the sale grounds at Fasig-Tipton Saratoga. We thought she was an exceptional beauty, and her overall balance prompted us to analyze her biomechanically.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/newsletters/pedigree-weekly/

Keta,
    Thanks. A great article.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Good read. Includes info on great fillies that Mike has ridden!

Racing's ladies' man, Smith enjoying ride with Songbird
    By David Grening Daily Racing Form 07/21/2016
    SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Mike Smith has ridden some of the best female horses of all time – four, in fact, who are in the Hall of Fame, including Zenyatta, whose induction takes place in less than three weeks.
    Smith, a Hall of Famer himself and still going strong at age 50, has found another fabulous filly in Songbird, who is undefeated in eight career starts. She will put that streak on the line Sunday in the Grade 1, $500,000 Coaching Club American Oaks at Saratoga, where she will meet four rivals, including Grade 1 winners Carina Mia and Weep No More
    http://www.drf.com/news/racings-ladies-man-smith-enjoying-ride-songbird
    :
  • Next up in about 30 minutes.... Songbird vs. Carina Mia!
  • And first reports are Songbird destroyed the field!!!
  • What a beautiful race! Carina Mia really gave her bravest all in challenging Songbird. But Songbird just has that extra gear that the Greats do, and when pressured into it, drew off confidently. This was a race for the classics.
  • And first reports are Songbird destroyed the field!!!

Didn't really "destroy." She was tested for the first time (finally) and responded!
  • Well I said first reports but yeah, @Lioness, I'd agree with you. Finally, though, she is ready to be named a great for facing Carina Mia. Some say that "haters" will come out and say she didn't face the best fillies on the East Coast, but Carina Mia is the best 3yo on the east coast in my opinion, and Songbird beat her comfortably despite being tested.