Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Coolmore Stud Announcement
    Montjeu
    (29th March 2012)
    Montjeu, the highest-rated racehorse ever by the great Sadler’s Wells has died this morning at Coolmore Stud after a short illness which was due to complications from an overwhelming septicaemia.
    The sire of three Epsom Derby winners including last year’s brilliant winner Pour Moi, as well as Camelot, the favourite for this year’s edition, Montjeu was one of the best stallions in the world and in 2011 he sired 15 individual Group/Graded winners in the northern hemisphere, which was the equal of Galileo.
    Montjeu will best be remembered for his incredible wins in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes as well as his runaway victories in the French and Irish Derbies.
  • aww, well it's good he didn't go through something slow and painful
  • RIP Beautiful Montjeu. JB
  • New York Times article Mangled Horses/Maimed Jokeys. Disturbing read but a sad fact. Hugs, JB

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/death-and-disarray-at-americas-racetracks.html?_r=3
  • There are good horse owners and trainers and bad/ruthless horse owners
    and trainers. SAD
  • 3 YOs ON THE SHELF:
    Junebugred - bone chip
    Consortium - ankle chip
    Stephanoatsee - pastern injury
    O'Prado Again - Condylar fracture in right foreleg
    Ismene (filly) (Tribal Rule) - ankle chip
    Spring Hill Farm - knee fracture
    Fed Biz - hind end issue
    Algorithms - fractured splint bone in right front leg
    Now I Know (filly) - fractured knee, retired
    Out of Bounds - condylar fracture to left front ankle
    RIP: For Oby, Bellacourt, Tiz Sunset

4 yr olds:
    Dialed In 4 yo - bone chips
    Thiskyhasnolimit 5 yo
    Animal Kingdom 4yo - hind end issue

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that caught my eye. Bill Pressey at ThoroEdge last year said over 60% of the top 3 yos that were on the Derby Trail in January were "on the shelf" by June. That is a sad statistic. Some say (those who know a heck of a lot more than I do) attribute some of the fragility issues to unwise matings, along with the other issues being looked at recently. The sport has changed in recent years from the languid "sport of kings" where wealthy owners bred their horses for durability, stamina and speed, to be able to beat their neighbors...their desire was to "improve the breed" with every mating. Andy Beyer pointed this out in an article he wrote right after the Eight Belles tragedy. Now, he says, the sport has evolved into one where breeders don't breed to race, they breed to sell. They breed for speed and multiple crosses with some brilliant but unsound lines is adding to the problem. These same 1-year wonders on the track retire with less than 10 races lifetime and go to the breeding shed to pass on their brilliant but unsound qualities. The drugs are compounding the problem, but hardly the only issue the industry faces.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    two horses died in this years Dubai World Cup and one more was injured.
    RIP Fox Hunt(broke both front legs)owned by Godolphin; and RIP Bronze Cannon (unspecified leg injury) US-Bred. Grand Vent another Godolphin horse is being treated for an injury and two other horses were pulled up.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    RIP....Grand Slam...only 17
  • I rewatched the gold cup video and it was the right front leg on bronze cannon that was broken not the left.
  • LeeLee Member
    Grand Vent suffered a shattered right hind pastern and could not be saved..RIP
  • Ray Paulick just tweeted:
    Atty Karen Murphy said all who signed #StarPlus petition helped case. "Today was a home run for Star Plus. He's going to come home."

Dear Keta:

Thank God Star Plus is coming home. So many TB's do not come home. They end up sold to Kill Buyers and sent to slaughter. This is a part of of the industry that breaks my heart. Not all owners and breeders are responsible for their horses like Mr. Mack is. So glad Ray Paulick brings these awful situations to the forefront with his wonderful Paulick Report. Wish more would be done to stop these unscrupulous people from treating these beautiful, innocent creatures so horribly. Hugs, JB
    Star Plus is so deserving of finally being able to retire as he should have been rather than made to run injured. I'm saluting Mr. Mack for his tenacious effort on Star Plus' behalf.

• Star Plus is so deserving of finally being able to retire as he should have been rather than made to run injured. I'm saluting Mr. Mack for his tenacious effor on Star Plus' behalf. Zz hugs, DMCQ_AL
  • cigarcigar Member
    I would like to say that I agree with what Ann_Maree said. That is what my friend Pam and I have been thinking for quite some time. Rush the horses onto the track, race them at two and three and then retire them, either because of injury or because the stallions can command high stud fees. There has been a loss of endurance and stamina.

If anyone is interested, The Cloud Foundation is trying to save OUR wild horses on OUR public lands, and they have come out very strongly against horse slaughter.
  • cigarcigar Member
    Oh, you know what? If people won't do the right thing by their horses, then hit them in the pocketbook. The horse's welfare should ALWAYS come first.

We could take a few pointers from Europe.
  • I wish that some people would give the poor animals a break. They have feelings too. The news on New Mexico is REALLY unpleasent. Honestly, think of the lives at stake here! I wish that the claimers were safer, with drug tests taken a bit more. Everyone should really be thrown in jail for the damage they do!
  • KetaKeta Member
    From Teresa Genaro's
    Brooklyn Backstretch
    New York State Racing and Wagering Board has been particularly busy, launching three major initiatives since March 22.
    That day, the Racing and Wagering Board announced the team that would investigate the spate of fatal injuries over Aqueduct’s inner track during this winter. Drs. Scott Palmer and Mary Scollay, retired jockey Jerry Bailey, and Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association president and CEO Alan Foreman will begin their investigation “promptly,” according to the RWB, and will release their findings to NYRA, to the Racing and Wagering Board, and to the public.
    Yesterday, the Racing and Wager Board made two announcements. The first involved two new public databases: one that records details of equine breakdowns and incidents back to 2009, one that lists rules infractions back to 1985. Both are easily searchable using a variety of criteria and make available information not previously easily found.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jockeys Guild News and Articles
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012
    Jockeys’ Guild announces launch of Jockey Injury Database; aim is to track trends, protect riders
    The Jockey Injury Database will collect information on jockey injuries at racetracks, including where, when and how injuries occurred, what type of equipment riders were wearing at the time, and the nature and severity of the injuries.
    When a jockey injury occurs, the information will be gathered confidentially by medical personnel at racetracks, as well as by Guild representatives, and then entered into a database to be analyzed at a later date. In the database, jockeys will not be identified by name nor will the tracks where incidents occur.
    “We constantly work with tracks and the industry to ensure the safety of jockeys,” said Terry Meyocks, National Manager of the Jockeys’ Guild. “This program was first conceived at the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit and it has been in the works for several years. We are thrilled to see it come to fruition. Its goal is to find ways to reduce racing injuries and create a safer racing environment.”

• Spill at Aqueduct.
    Rotten to the Core died instantly after stumbling over Bacchi at Aqueduct Saturday. So very sad.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/AP8188c82cd1c34b83a5fcdcf76ad18574.html
  • KetaKeta Member
    Voodoo Daddy in stable condition but still in life-threatening condition
    Posted on June 30, 2012 by Jennie Rees
    The 3-year-old colt Voodoo Daddy, who is owned by Terry Raymond, was in stable condition Saturday evening at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, where he was sent Friday night because of massive bleeding from deep cuts and a nicked artery in his right hind leg.
    Trainer Steve Asmussen said equine surgeon Brett Woodie used the terms “stable, optimistic, resting comfortably and then (Saturday) evening used the word bright” in describing Voodoo Daddy’s condition to Ken Reed, who is Asmussen’s veterinarian at Churchill Downs. However, the injuries remain serious because of the blood loss and the risk of infection. Asmussen said the focus is keeping Voodoo Daddy alive, with no way to know if he could ever race again.
    The stakes-placed Voodoo Daddy was leading in mid-stretch of the five-furlong turf race when he swerved into the rail after Sellers’ hit him once with his right-hand whip. The colt continued to run through several sections of the aluminum rail — designed to come down in 20-foot pieces when such mishaps happen — but got tangled in the railing and got the reins looped around a leg. Sellers came off in the process.
    “Getting him to quit bleeding was the issue (Friday) night,” trainer Steve Asmussen said Saturday morning. “Greg Blasi, the outrider, cut the rein for us and did a great job getting a compression bandage on the large cut under his right hind leg.”
  • Good luck to Voodoo Daddy. At least his owner is having him cared for rather than put down at once. So glad Sellers seems to be okay and no other jocks were hurt.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jennie Rees of Courier Journal on Sat. June 30
    Jockey Shane Sellers out 5-6 weeks with fractured shoulder blade, agent says. @ChurchillDowns
    There was an accident with Vodoo Daddy. He got cuts which were stitched
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    R.I.P. Millionreasonswhy. Horse racing has only one downside and this is it. Am so sad about her.
  • Good luck to Voodoo Daddy and hope is will be ok!
  • R.I.P. Millionreasonswhy. Am so sad about her. She was such a nice filly. Are thoughts with the trainer and the owners this has to be a very bad day for them.She went so fast!
    It made me so very sad.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited July 2012
    John Johnny Jak won his race today ....then had to taken back to barn hurt...now drf article says everything is being done to save him...this after he survived colic surgery last yr and returned to racing...praying for good outcome...
    Millionreasonswhy's accident sounds a lot like VooDoo Daddys