Weekly Handicapping Contest

Comments

• Oh my goodness, Ken, that sounds like a lot of fun!!!! I am not going to probably have any way to coherently explain my choices, but I'll sure enjoy playing anyway! :)
  • For my race I pick race 7 at Belmont on Saturday. It looks to be a compettive, large field in an Allowance Optional Claiming race of 6 furlongs on the inner turf.
  • I'll go with the California Distaff Handicap at Santa Anita on Saturday. I love races on the downhill turf course there.
  • So, if we are going with races that intrigue us, I might as well do a sprint too, but a dirt stakes for WV state breds at a distance you don't see a lot, 4.5 furlongs. The West Virginia Dash For Cash at Charles Town. Is that okay @jaefeathered?
  • @sarinne I recently watched a race for thoroughbreds that was 2 furlongs. I was shocked that such existed. :)
  • The only problem with that race at Charles Town is that I can't seem to find any free past performances for the race. :/ If you can find some online, I'd be more than happy to do it.

I typically get mine from http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-pastperformances.htm

Sometimes the tracks themselves have Equibase PPs, but Charles Town doesn't seem to update theirs (at least not that I can find on my phone).
  • Okay, Jae, let me look again. :)

@KenHamilton1955 -- wow, I bet that was really interesting to watch!!!
  • Okay @jaefeathered how does this work? (Yes, Carol, I can hear you groaning! haha). The Victorian Queen Stakes at Woodbine. Six furlongs for 2 yo state-bred fillies on AW.
  • Works for me! I'll get the entries up later today or tomorrow when I'm not on my work computer.
  • @sarinne Well, at 20 seconds it was like a quarter horse race. Felt weird since I wasn’t watching Los Alamitos. =)
  • @sarinne Well, at 20 seconds it was like a quarter horse race. Felt weird since I wasn’t watching Los Alamitos. =)

hahaha Do they weave all over the place like QHs do? I would have loved to have watched it!
  • Handicapping Contest Races for October 14th, 2017:

Race 7 at Belmont - Allowance Optional Claiming (4:13 PM EST) - http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/BEL101417USA-EQB.html#RACE7
    Victorian Queen Stakes at Woodbine (4:54 PM EST) - http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/WO101417CAN-EQB.html#RACE8
    California Distaff Handicap at Santa Anita (6:02 PM EST) - http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/SA101417USA-EQB.html#RACE6
    Theme: "Win Place Show" - $300 bankroll for 3 designated races using only win, place, or show bets, or combos like win/place, place/show, win/place/show. You must bet the entire $300 by the third race.
  • Race 7 AOC at Belmont:

#2 Daddy D T -- clearly this guy is moving in the wrong direction, but I'll give him a look, just on pedigree, half-sibs, and the promise he showed as a youngster. $20 to show.
    #3 English Minister -- restricted stakes placed (this year, out of a turf sire in English Channel and I love the daughters of Deputy Minister. $20 to show.
    #6 Grand Sky -- can't pass on him. Sky Mesa on turf out of a MGSP sprinter dam. $30 W/P. Total bet $60.

Victorian Queen Stakes at Woodbine:

#6 Mega Monster -- jockey/trainer. Has won and is stakes placed sprinting. Dam is a stakes winning sprinter. $50 to show.
    #9 Rosemere -- jockey/trainer at track. Already showing promise with a stakes placing sprinting at Woodbine. She is half to a stakes placing sister (sprinting on turf). $50 to show.

California Distaff Handicap at Santa Anita:

#4 Long Hot Summer -- GSP at a mile on turf, and stakes winning sprinting on turf. Gets lots of speed top and bottom of her pedigree. $25 to place.
    #5 Miss Sunset -- very talented filly with the all the credentials. Pedigree and success turf sprinting. Love Gary Stevens! $25 W/P/S. Total bet $75.

Feel free to check my math, folks. It's been a long day. :)
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited October 2017
    hi all...having no clue what I am doing...I will give it the old college try...
    Belmont 7..Allowance O/C
    #2 Daddy D T...chose him because of Scat Daddy
    #6 Grand Sky...chose him because of Sky Mesa
    #8 Thecallhimthekid...Like Rosario ..esp on turf
    #9 Expected Ruler....never count out JV at Belmont
    I am making identical bets on each of the four...
    $10 to win/ $10 to place/ $5 to show....total for race $100

Victorian Queen at Woodbine
    knowing how I view 2yr old contests....AllBurger
    #9 Rosemere...Court Vision & Empire Maker/Husbands & Casse...$20 to win
    #1-#8 inclusive....$5 to place and $5 to show on each
    total for race $100

California Distaff
    #4 Long Hot Summer....Street Boss and Prat....$20 to win/$10 to place/$10 to show
    #5 Miss Sunset...Into Mischief and Gary S....$20 to win/$10 to place/ $ 10 to show
    #9 Ready to Hula Lula...love More Than Ready as BMS...$20 to show
    total for race $100

best to all
    ps-my math make be funky....

• Race 7 at Belmont - Allowance Optional Claiming

#1A Partly Mocha - $10 Place/Show - The best closer in this field and has run the highest Equibase speed figure in this field.
    #6 Grand Sky - $10 Place/Show - Won two turf races at Saratoga so is coming into this race in excellent form and is my second choice to win this race behind Partly Mocha. Should be midfield at the top of the stretch and ready to roll.

Victorian Queen Stakes at Woodbine

#9 Rosemere - $60 Win/Place/Show - Barely missed out on breaking her maiden on debut on the Tapeta and ran well again on the turf after that. Mark Casse does well with two year olds and with horses coming off a 1-2 month layoff between races. I think this is the day that Rosemere breaks her maiden and I am making her my big bet in this contest.

California Distaff Handicap at Santa Anita

#4 Long Hot Summer - $40 Place - A good closer and has run the highest Equibase speed figure in this field in winning the Daisy Cutter Handicap before being declared a non-starter in her last start. She has been running against really good competition in California and should do well in this race. Phil D'Amato does well with horses coming off a 1-2 month layoff between races and stakes runners.

#8 Moonless Sky - $40 Place - Has run four times on the Santa Anita turf and won all four races so appears to be a horse for course situation. My concern is cutting back in distance which Eddie Truman does not have a good record on. So I have doubts that she can win but a placing is well within reason.

Total bets - $300
  • Whoops, got back later today than I had planned! Oh well haha. I'll play next weekend xD
    yuck on the first race
  • yuck on the first race

Hey, you spent your money well at Woodbine at least!
    that's because I bet them all...lol
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited October 2017
    I came in too late. Good luck to you all. Next week! B)
  • that's because I bet them all...lol

You did a good job at Santa Anita too! Looks like you might have cleaned up overall! :)

Missed you Jae and KMM!
  • Race 7 - Allowance Optional Claiming (Belmont):
    1 - English Minister - $14.60 $7.20 $4.30 (sarinne)
    2 - Spring to the Sky - $12.20 $6.60
    3 - End Play - $3.60

Victorian Queen Stakes:
    1 - Line of Vision - $9.60 $5.60 $3.30 (carolinarkansas)
    2 - Without a Doubt - $23.90 $8.90 (carolinarkansas)
    3 - She's the Berries - $3.90 (carolinarkansas)

California Distaff Handicap:
    1 - Barbara Beatrice - $11.60 $5.80 $3.00
    2 - Late 'n Left - $18.00 $7.20
    3 - Long Hot Summer - $3.00 (carolinarkansas)

-----------------------------

Winners:
    1 - carolinarkansas (Line of Vision, Without a Doubt, She's the Berries, Long Hot Summer) - $22.25 + $82.00 + $9.75 + $15.00 = $129.00
    2 - sarinne (English Minister) - $43.00
    3 - KenHamilton1955 - $0.00

------------------------------

Congratulations to the winners! @carolinarkansas was smart to hedge her bets in the Victorian Queen Stakes at Woodbine this week, scoring with quite a few longshots in that race. She can choose the theme and a race that suits the theme for next weekend, and @sarinne and @KenHamilton1955 can make their race picks after that. As usual, you can wait until Thursday to post your decisions.

As always, please feel free to double check my math. Sometimes I misread your posts or mistype entries into the calculator haha.
    I spent 300 to win 129.....lol....
  • I spent 300 to win 129.....lol....

Better than $43! haha Congrats, Carol!
  • Congrats to the winners!

Just so happens that we pretty much mirrored last week’s “Win Place Show” episode. I think the winning team won $61 and the losing team won $0. B)