2018 Belmont

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Call To Mind - Race Replay
    BH Race Results @BH_RaceResults ‎June ‎08, ‎2018
    Call To Mind (GB) (Galileo (IRE) - Memory (IRE)) wins the Belmont Gold Cup Invitational S.. http://bit.ly/2HyO5TE
  • My son's prediction for the Belmont: 1st-Justify, 2cnd-Noble Indy, 3rd-Gronkowski, 4th- Free Drop Billy. It's kind of weird because we really hadn't had time to talk about it because of his wedding and I really like Noble Indy too. Regardless, hope all come home safe. Enjoy Belmont day!
  • tincuptincup Member
    Rock and roll
    Formfull...playing to form
  • I think Justify wins --- especially if Mike gets him to break fast. I'm hoping for a Triple Crown winner. Historically, they seem to happen in clusters. The two long droughts were between Citation and Secretariat, 25 years and then the 37 years before AP became # 12.
    Justify just checks all the boxes for me and I'm not sure the horse knows how good he is ..... his stride is just amazing.
    Want this as much for Mike Smith --- and like him or not, Baffert just always has one in the barn with all the potential --- in all fairness, Justify could have been sent to several other trainers and the result would probably be the same.
    Several other horses I like --- Bravazo, Hofburg, Vino Rosso --- but I'm sticking with Justify. Blended Citizen might surprise as well.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Wow! Mike Smith and Justify!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2018
    WOW! WE HAVE A TRIPLE CROWN WINNER!!
    THE 150TH RUNNING OF THE BELMONT STAKES...
    "THE TEST OF THE CHAMPION"

June 9, 2018, Saturday
    Distance: 1-1/2 miles (2,400 m) over dirt
    Track Condition: fast

Stakes Purse: $1.5 Million
        1st place winner gets $900,000 (60% of total purse)
        2nd place gets $300,000
        3rd place gets $165,000
        4th place gets $90,000
        5th place get $45,000

Official Time: 2:28:18
    ORDER OF FINISH: (Odds prior to race start)
    1st: Justify [1], Mike Smith/Bob Baffert (Odds 4/5) Note: Undefeated winner with 6 for 6
    2nd: Gronkowski [6], Jose Ortiz/Chad Brown (Odds 24-1) Note: Stakes winner in Europe
    3rd: Hofburg [4], Irad Ortiz Jr./Bill Mott (Odds 5-1) Note: came in 7th in the Kentucky Derby
    4th: Vino Rosso [8], John Velazquez/Todd Pletcher (Odds 7-1) Note: came in 9th in the Kentucky Derby
    5th: Tenfold [7], Ricardo Santana Jr./Steve Asmussen (Odds 10-1) Note: came in 3rd in the Preakness
    6th: Bravazo [3], Luis Saez/D. Wayne Lukas (Odds 8-1) Note: came in 2nd in Preakness & ran in all 3 TC races
    7th: Free Drop Billy [2], Robby Albarado/Dale Romans (Odds 31-1) Note: came in 16th in the Kentucky Derby
    8th: Restoring Hope [5], Florent Geroux/Bob Baffert (Odds 37-1)
    9th: Blended Citizen [10], Kyle Frey/Doug O'Neill (Odds 23-1)
    10th: Noble Indy [9], Javier Castellano/Todd Pletcher (Odds 23-1) Note: came in 17th in the Kentucky Derby

BETTING STATS
    Based on $2 Bet:
    Justify : Odds 4/5, Win $3.60, Place $3.50, Show $2.80
    Gronkowski: Odds 24-1, Place $13.80, Show $7.00
    Hofburg: Odds 5-1, Show $3.70

$2.00 Exacta 1-6: $39.00
    $1.00 Trifecta 1-6-4: $229.74
    $1.00 Superfecta 1-6-4-8: $1,051.50

Trivia:
    ❖Bob Baffert becomes only the second trainer to win 2 Triple Crowns since Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons
        (Gallant Fox-1930 & Omaha-1935).
    ❖Bob Baffert has had 5 previous chances to win the Triple Crown...2 out of 5 ain't bad!
        2 out of 3: Silver Charm 1997, Real Quiet 1998, War Emblem 2002.
        TC winners: American Pharoah 2015 & Justify 2018
    ❖Justify became the 36th winner of both the Kentucky Derby AND the Preakness Stakes to try for the TC.
    ❖Justify becomes the 2nd Triple Crown winner who won with an undefeated record since Seattle Slew.
    ❖Justify is the ONLY undefeated Triple Crown winner who DID NOT RACE as a 2-year old.
        He won 6 out of 6 as a 3-year old.
    ❖Mike Smith becomes the oldest jockey (Age 52) to win the Triple Crown
    ❖Trainer Bob Baffert and the owners of Justify become the first recipients of the newly designed Triple Crown Trophy.
    ❖The last horse to win from post position 1 was Empire Maker in 2003.
  • 45 years today, Secretariat won the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown. Big red horses that move like machines..
  • I found it interesting that the "talking heads" on NBCSN stated that Gronkowski would not be a factor because he was a grass horse and was by Lonhro. One never knows......
  • tincuptincup Member
    bigherbie said:

I found it interesting that the "talking heads" on NBCSN stated that Gronkowski would not be a factor because he was a grass horse and was by Lonhro. One never knows......

Funny
    Lizzie and I went all in on Justify, saving an eighth for each to play a horse underneath.
    I took blended for the pretty story of Kyle Frey, she took Braz for Lucas...just as sappy, if you ask me.
    We both tossed gronk, particularly because of lonhro, he who we both love from the racing down under....and yes, one never knows...
  • JUSTIFY AND HIS TEAM ARE THE FIRST TO RECEIVE
    THE NEWLY REDESIGNED TRIPLE CROWN TROPHY!!

http://www.drf.com/news/new-triple-crown-trophy-designed-be-mobile

image Photo by Adam Coglianese/NYRA from Daily Racing Form
  • Belmont Stakes Wrap:
  • Belmont Stakes Press Conference:
  • tincup said:

bigherbie said:

I found it interesting that the "talking heads" on NBCSN stated that Gronkowski would not be a factor because he was a grass horse and was by Lonhro. One never knows......

Funny
    Lizzie and I went all in on Justify, saving an eighth for each to play a horse underneath.
    I took blended for the pretty story of Kyle Frey, she took Braz for Lucas...just as sappy, if you ask me.
    We both tossed gronk, particularly because of lonhro, he who we both love from the racing down under....and yes, one never knows...
    THAT's funny because I hopped on Gronkowski earl;y in the year because he was a Yankee in King Arthur's Court and found Mendel right there with him. Two of our best who got away.