Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse Racetracks In The U.S.

Comments

• Good idea
  • Wow, good idea. Not only for the horses but the track has been getting a lot of bad national press which doesn't help the sport at all this day and age. Hard time of the year for their 3 year old preps, though.
  • It's about time --- if this track can't drain properly during the raining season then find a way to solve the problem or don't open the main track and Turf this time of year --- period. The big "S" company has the money to fix this the right way!

• I considered addressing what you wrote here but you as so incredibly misinformed I think I'm wasting my breath. You're starting to sound like PETA.

However, for those keeping a bingo card.

1) The "California Rescue" is not closed. It is still an operating 501.c3 and the founder is still applying their business model to collect money from 'donations'. The donations are no longer represented as tax deductible, but all that happened to that rescue is they lost the property they sat on in Valley Center. They're still operating and the courts have a long way to go until there are significant changes/consequences for those individuals. If any happen at all.

2) The only trainer at SA who's defection would have amounted to any level of pain point for Santa Anita would have been Baffert. So long as Baffet remained content all the other trainers could go jump in the sea as far as SA was concerned. They'd just be replaced by other blue collar trainers desperate to be able to run at SA. All Ruis did was put herself behind a blackball in California Racing and it had nothing to do with concern for the horse. She did what she did because she was at risk of losing stall space.

3) To be very clear, TRACKS DON'T CARE ABOUT CASUAL/INTERNET FANS. We put NO money in their pockets. Trainers can go on Twitter and Social Media and all they're doing is giving the SA PR folks something to get paid for.

4) Santa Anita voluntarily closing and taking the steps it is taking with Moore is actually more pro-active than any major track would have been in the past. This comes from concern for the Equine Athlete and shows that the Industry is attempting to clean up it's act.
  • Zenyen said:

I considered addressing what you wrote here but you as so incredibly misinformed I think I'm wasting my breath. You're starting to sound like PETA.

However, for those keeping a bingo card.

1) The "California Rescue" is not closed. It is still an operating 501.c3 and the founder is still applying their business model to collect money from 'donations'. The donations are no longer represented as tax deductible, but all that happened to that rescue is they lost the property they sat on in Valley Center. They're still operating and the courts have a long way to go until there are significant changes/consequences for those individuals. If any happen at all.

2) The only trainer at SA who's defection would have amounted to any level of pain point for Santa Anita would have been Baffert. So long as Baffet remained content all the other trainers could go jump in the sea as far as SA was concerned. They'd just be replaced by other blue collar trainers desperate to be able to run at SA. All Ruis did was put herself behind a blackball in California Racing and it had nothing to do with concern for the horse. She did what she did because she was at risk of losing stall space.

3) To be very clear, TRACKS DON'T CARE ABOUT CASUAL/INTERNET FANS. We put NO money in their pockets. Trainers can go on Twitter and Social Media and all they're doing is giving the SA PR folks something to get paid for.

4) Santa Anita voluntarily closing and taking the steps it is taking with Moore is actually more pro-active than any major track would have been in the past. This comes from concern for the Equine Athlete and shows that the Industry is attempting to clean up it's act.

What is this?
    I've warned of peta intervention for some time
    Horse rescue is a problem
    Baffert is a problem
    Cal horse needs to understand social media and needs to care
    Santa Anita does care...but the lack of continuity of local talent has left a dearth of information over many years. How many people are still around that understand the angst that led to the original panic and installation of synthetic surfaces. The invasion of out of town money that led to the closure of Bay Meadows, Hollywood park... the resurfacing of tracks to dirt and the nightmare of that...
    Santa Anita was resurfaced after resurfacing... they gotta problem.
    I can't agree Santa Anita is being more proactive then others would be...
  • That peta can articulate the truth of horse racing problems with regards to pain management and performance enhancement...the relationship of said with death and cruelty...is the sound of a bell.
    Hear it.
  • Just for the sake of clarification, I think @Zenyen posted in response to comments made in the "Chasing Yesterday" thread --- deleted and moved her response to this thread which is the more appropriate discussion. If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize.
  • bleubetty said:

Just for the sake of clarification, I think @Zenyen posted in response to comments made in the "Chasing Yesterday" thread --- deleted and moved her response to this thread which is the more appropriate discussion. If I am wrong, I sincerely apologize.

Thanks for that. I see what happened and appreciate your help.
    I was laughing at the randomness.
    Now I'm laughing at ashes.
    Flash floods are particularly dangerous in areas prone to flash floods.

• From CBS Los Angles youtube channel about Santa Anita.
  • I find it interesting that Moore "retired" from Santa Anita, yet still works for Los Al and Del Mar. Sure. They probably have great respect for him and asked him to step down i.e. forced retirement. Just glad to see he's back and I hope he can get to the bottom of the track issues.
  • edited March 2019
    Just for the record I am People Eating Tasty Animals. PETA is not for Animals and never were, They want to see and end to all domestic animals and the world to become leaf eaters. I was just stating that for any Racing Trainer to stand up for what they felt was a danger for their animals would also need to be prepared for the fall out. I'm saddened to learn that Rescue is still running though very limply now. BUT also it goes to show that the people standing up to permanently close it down are still needing to stand their ground and not quit no matter what happens.

I am also pleased to see SA close till further notice. I know it had to be a hard decision as they want to stop the deaths but also don't want to loss substantial income. What I can't understand is this: If it has been known for SA to have problems during the rainy season why open during the peak of said rainy season? Would it be so horrible to wait say 3-4 weeks later? Oh wait that may mean no Derby qualifying races at SA awww poor trainers.
  • BetsyBBetsyB Member
    edited March 2019

What I can't understand is this: If it has been known for SA to have problems during the rainy season why open during the peak of said rainy season? Would it be so horrible to wait say 3-4 weeks later? Oh wait that may mean no Derby qualifying races at SA awww poor trainers.

Keep in mind that southern California is having an unusually wet season so far, with experts indicating the rain amounts could be 150 to even 200 percent of a normal year. It's also producing the second wildflower "superbloom" in that area since 2017. That part is much needed, to help spur growth in areas burned over by the wildfires. The question will be whether climate change makes these extreme swings -- drought or monsoon conditions, with fewer periods of "average" weather -- more common in coming years. Unless that trend becomes clear, it seems premature to conclude that the racing calendar needs to be pushed back by weeks or more.

I'm not sure what the answer will be to the track problems at Santa Anita -- that's beyond my very limited expertise in horse racing -- but I do think the conditions faced this year might be a challenge for most tracks to handle. Could Santa Anita management have done better? Sure. Could they have foreseen the weather pattern they've had to deal with would be so persistent? That I'm not so sure about. My uneducated guess would be a track surface that has some definite vulnerabilities had exactly the wrong weather develop to expose those weaknesses.
  • Good stuff
    About that super Bloom. It's been so much fun to see the beauty again so soon and so early this time. One super treat was to walk amongst this wonderful flower Bloom with snow falling... magical....