Rachel Alexandra

Comments

• I trust Ms. Banke will have the best of the best advising her about breeding and I know how she feels about Rachel and that she will make the right decision for her.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Queen Mothers - May 4
    ESPN Inside the Gates podcast (Audio)
    For Mothers' Day, we interweave interviews with Barbara Banke (Rachel Alexandra) &
    Dottie Ingordo (Zenyatta), plus a Barry Abrams Derby wrap-up commentary.
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9242780
    Keta Note: Thank you to Ann Maree for this great find.
    And, a very Happy Mothers Day to all!!
  • Beautiful girl! Thanks Amanda.
  • Doesn't she look great?!?!? Dapples and everything. The same group of angels must be watching out for Rachel and Paynter.
  • I agree, Joanna, same band of angels for two determined horses. Rachel looks super with her dapples and form. The diva is back!!!
    Take care, all,
    Mary
  • edited May 2013
    @Keta, many, many thank you's for the great updates! Much appreciated.
    @lovehorses, I had the same thing happen to me, only by a doctors mistake. Had a right side ovarian cyst, he left it in, took a photo of it, and proceeded to take out a half inch section of my colon on the LEFT side! A day and a half later, my entire abdomen literally exploded, I was officially called deceased, but my great general surgeon did not give up, he literally had my heart in his hand and gave it that "miracle shot" to get it beating again. That was 15 years ago, I've had coming up to surgery #49 to continue to repair this mess, and indeed, you are never the same! We just lost a friend due to this very same thing only due to a car accident. Once the insides are comprimised like what happened to us, and to poor Rachel, they are NEVER the same. Thank God for the great doctors that saved all of our lives, but I hope and pray that RA is never even put in this predicament again. That's what I would call Russian Roulette. She may not be so lucky the next time. My family doctor once told me "once you take too many parts out of the motor, the engine is never the same again" how true. All, be thankful for your health, it is so very precious and you miss it when its gone. As we would miss RA if this happens to her again. Let her be. I don't want to read about a tragedy that could have been avoided. :(
  • edited May 2013
    You had ovarian cysts? Funny, because I had a cyst on my ovary that covered the ENTIRE ovary, was prescribed birth control for it..... And it was gone a week later, nobody took those drastic measures such as removing a section of my colon. But never the less, I'm terribly sorry that happened... And dear RA is a fighter, always has been.... I doubt she'd go down easily =) After this happened to her, I just thought that if she is ever back to perfect breeding health.... She MUST breed to Paynter, that baby would be untouchable! Lol! And have a fighting spirit like no other.
  • Really you can't compare ovarian cysts RR12. They do different things to different people and you are one of the lucky ones. Also, any surgery in the abdomen can lead to infection which can ruin you for life, if not kill you! Ruffianthebestever is lucky to be here to tell her story, too.
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/sports/rachel-alexandra-2009-preakness-winner-recovers-from-scare.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is a great article on Rachel. Make sure you look at the pictures of Rachel's Valentine...that is one gorgeous filly.

• AmandaFAmandaF Member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/sports/rachel-alexandra-2009-preakness-winner-recovers-from-scare.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is a great article on Rachel. Make sure you look at the pictures of Rachel's Valentine...that is one gorgeous filly.

I agree, I LOVE RA13's head.

• SierraSierra Member
    Great article thanks for sharing!
  • Beautiful Rachel. I hadn't seen this article before so really enjoyed reading it! Thanks for the share.
  • Thank you, Lynda, for posting...you are quite right...gorgeous with that head and the curve of her neck!!! Hope she can run down the boys...PrinZling too?!?!?

Rachel must have contributed a lot of knowledge to horse health.

I see it in humans too: some ask what they need to do for discharge and plop, plop they do it. Others, with the same diagnosis, create negative energy and take longer to get home.

Here is to all us humans and fur babies working hard to get home sooner rather than later!

Take care,
    Mary in Boone
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    Who knows, maybe Rachel's Valentine will grow up, be a winner like Rachel and Z13 will do the same as Zenyatta and Valentine will be bred to Z13 and the greatest racehorses of the this century will be the result. Rachel and Zenyatta will be the legacy of racing for decades to come!.

• I sort of like to think that Rach and Zenny are already destined to be racing legands for a long, long time, but as to the blending of their talents? Sure is fun to think about!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Jeez Louise! She's her mommas girl for sure!
  • She is going to be a force to reckon with on the track!
  • Happy tears for Val, and Ojos, and Rachel. I almost can't believe what was so close to being a tragedy ended up SO well. Congrats Barbara B and Stonestreet.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Rood and Riddle too!
  • Right you are, Rachel. I bet they're sorry to lose Bret Comer to Stonestreet. I would refer to Stonestreet as Rachel A's team, but with so many wonderful mares residing there, it hardly seems fair! Of course, RA is very, very special to them (and me too :))))).
  • It is so wonderful seeing Ojos and Val running so happily and healthy. What a beautiful filly RA's girl is. Just like her mommy.
  • Happy to see pictures of Valentine and Ojos, and Rachel. I almost can't believe what was so close to being a tragedy ended up SO well. Congrats Barbara B and Stonestreet. & Rood and Riddle was not for the great staff at Rood and Riddle little Valentine and her mom Rachel would not of made it. Owner Barbara and the heart of Rachel played a big part.
  • RachelRachel Member
    She looks like taco and her momma