General Interest News Items

Comments

• Yup, he gets Chestnut, Bay, Grey, and Roan
  • Found this article--blog--whatever--in the ASPCA email news today.

>>>>>>>

Let’s End Carriage Horse Rides in New York City
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 - 1:30pm

NYC Carriage Horse

Blog by ASPCA President & CEO Matthew Bershadker

On December 30, then-Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio unequivocally reaffirmed his stance against the use of carriage horses in New York City.

“We are going to quickly and aggressively move to make horse carriages no longer a part of the landscape,” he said. “They are not humane, they are not appropriate for the year 2014. It's over. So, just watch us do it.”

As an organization that’s fought for humane treatment of horses since our founding in 1866, we share the mayor’s philosophy that no economic counter-argument stands up to the sheer ridiculousness of this antiquated tradition. New York simply has a higher standard.

So we’re doing our part by joining the mayor’s call, standing with partners like NYCLASS, and counteracting deep troughs of misinformation with expert veterinary and animal relocation expertise. We stand ready to tap into our network of rescue partners to secure potential homes for the horses— facilities and people willing and able to open their hearts and homes to these animals.

Are there legitimate concerns about lost jobs? Absolutely. We share those concerns and encourage new ideas to address them. But using fear over facts to sway this debate is as irresponsible as suggesting strained carriage horses can be compensated with “vacation time.”

This is a conversation the city needs to have. But it needs to be placed in a context of hard truth, not hyperbolic bias. New Yorkers deserve that. And so do the animals with whom we share the city.

We applaud efforts clearly in motion to take these horses off city streets, pushing both them and New York itself into a more civilized future that need not be feared.

<<<<<<<

Good news that the new mayor is on the side of common sense and decency.
  • TY for posting VA. I've been following this story. It's about time. Way too many accidents and way too much cruelty.
  • Darby Dan‏ tweet Sat. Jan. 4 2014 with PHOTO
    Shacks a daddy!!! This little cutie was born at Alastar Thoroughbreds.
    Love that face!
    J.J. Hysell ‏tweet Shackleford foal MT @darbydanfarm Shacks a daddy!!!
    This little cutie was born at Alastar Thoroughbreds

• Workouts*

Tap It Rich- Santa Anita, 6 furlongs in 1.11.00, rank 1/15

Ebby- Hollywood Park, 4 furlongs in 47.8, rank 2/24

Shes Not Here (daughter of Wheres Bailey)- Payson Park Training Center, 4 furlongs in 49 flat, Rank 2/9
  • edited January 2014
    Found this article--blog--whatever--in the ASPCA email news today.

>>>>>>>

Let’s End Carriage Horse Rides in New York City
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 - 1:30pm

<<<<<<<

.</p>
    I am 100% against unsafe and cruel conditions. Are they implying that every carriage horse operator is a cruel and uncaring brute? All of the carriage horse operators in NYC have no concern for the safety and health of their horses? Is there not one man or woman among them who loves their horse and would ensure that their needs are met? I must not know all the facts. Because a carriage ride in and of itself is not necessarily cruel and does not lend its self to be more unsafe then other outside activities. If this is about dodging cars, then by all means prohibit the locations, but there must be a way to limit who has a license and where the carriages operate. Surely there is a safe location somewhere and a way to monitor the health of the horses.
  • I agree, some of those people do take care of the horses and it is their livlihood. They do enjoy their job, which is why this is kinda sad. Where are the horses going to go?
  • Hmmmm. 1,805 comments on the Blog from Dec 6. Time for new News and pics. LOL

• Mike Welsch @

Great news. Just ran into Buff Bradley and got the word Groupie Doll will be coming to Gulfstream later this week

• I agree, some of those people do take care of the horses and it is their livlihood. They do enjoy their job, which is why this is kinda sad. Where are the horses going to go?
    Also responding to Especially_Horses.

I used to think along those lines, too. But I read an article somewhere, maybe here, and there was a video with it, about how most of the carriage horses are pulling carriages that are too heavy for them, many are indeed clipped by cars, etc. They are worked to exhaustion and then go to "stalls" in upstairs, sometimes 3rd floors, old buildings that are not heated, and certainly not air-conditioned, and leave them little room to move around, lie down, etc. They have to learn to walk up and down the stairs. They showed this in the video. The "stalls" are not kept very clean either. Sounded awful. Many of them are worked until they drop dead. Not good conditions. I don't think the drivers are the owners. I think they are just employees of a rather unscrupulous industry. The horses stand in harness to the carriage all day, in all weathers. I was just glad to see that the new mayor intends to end this. Horses should not have to be stuck in NYC in hot weather breathing all that car and bus exhaust right down there in the traffic with never a chance to graze or even see grass.

I hope they find a place for the horses to go where they can get a well-earned rest.
  • G‏@LongBallToNoOne tweet with PHOTO Sat. Jan. 4 2014
    ORFEVRE ↓ playing in the snow, looks keen to get on with his new career #wildthing
    (not my pic)

• This is good to see. It's probably the first time in years that he's been turned out in a paddock to just romp and be a horse.
  • Keeneland january sale is tomorrow. Unbridled Belle is in this one as HIP 25, she is in foal to Bernardini

http://flex.keeneland.com/saleindex/saleindex.html
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    Interesting to see how many of the broodmares being sold are in foal to Shackleford and Pioneer of the Nile, and one to Blame.
  • Do I see a breeding trend here? I know there's the saying "Breed the best to the best and hope for the best."

http://www.drf.com/news/groupie-doll-tapit-first-mating-havre-de-grace-plum-pretty-betterbetterbetter-war-front-2014
  • G ‏@LongBallToNoOne tweet on Tues. Jan. 7 2014
    JRA HOTY 2013 (Jjapan Racing Association Horse of the Year)
    2YOC Asia Express
    2YOF Red Reveur
    3YOC Kizuna
    3YOF Meishi Mambo
    4YO+H Orfevre
    4YO+M Gentildonna
    Best Sprinter Lord Kanaloa
  • Do I see a breeding trend here? I know there's the saying "Breed the best to the best and hope for the best."

http://www.drf.com/news/groupie-doll-tapit-first-mating-havre-de-grace-plum-pretty-betterbetterbetter-war-front-2014
    Looks like Mandy Pope has spent plenty of time studying for these matings and they are well thought out according to her goals for the mares. I am hoping for the best for all of them as well. Can't wait to see the first babies of Havre De Grace and Plum Pretty!
  • Its a DRF+ article so cant read it, but Revolutionary is schedualed to return to racing this saturday
  • I have him in my virtual stable, and he's been working out quite a bit lately so I knew he would be entered into a race sooner than later, good luck and safe trip Rev!! Pletcher usually works his horses on Sunday mornings.

Revolutionary (4-Year-Old Colt)

Date: January 4, 2014
    Track: PALM MEADOWS TRAINING CENTER
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 49:90 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Racing Post ‏tweet Thurs. Jan. 9 2014
    The BHA has ruled no further entries will be accepted for MAD MOOSE

Michael Harris tweets first with PHOTO
    Mad Moose on his final outing :-(

A big problem was that he often 'came under starter's order' which means that anyone who placed a bet on him, lost their money
  • See Breaking News. There's a new BLOG post today.

We need to change that thread to simply BREAKING NEWS.
  • Great picture. Thanks for posting.