Kitten's Joy

Comments

• This is a comment on the New Kitten's Joy filly's pic: The Kittens are coming!!! The Kittens are coming!!
    LOL! That kind of reminds me of when Big Brown stood his first season @ Three Chimneys. "The Brownies are coming out of the oven."

• Cute!
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited January 2014
    a look at the mares that went to Kitten's Joy that are part of his success
    http://www.drf.com/news/mares-made-kittens-joy

its a bit out of place. the part about Partridge, she died of colic and later it says shes still on the farm but owned by someone else. shes not still alive, shes dead.
  • its interesting to note that he works really well with Northern Dancer mares
  • its interesting to note that he works really well with Northern Dancer mares
    It appears that the Ramsey's have a special recipe that they are happy with but at least they are very selective on the type of mare to be bred to Kitten's Joy:
    “What works with Kitten’s Joy is usually a well-balanced mare – not too big, not too small, just well-balanced, with a good neck. I don’t like a long or short neck or a long or short back. They have to be pretty strong. The fine-boned mares don’t seem to be working well with him as much as the well-balanced, strong mares.”
  • The article mentions something called a "crooked mare" as opposed to a "straight mare." Okay someone, what do those terms mean?
  • The article mentions something called a "crooked mare" as opposed to a "straight mare." Okay someone, what do those terms mean?
    Legs..crooked legs.
  • Ah. Thank you. That makes sense. I was trying to envision a horse with scoliosis. LOL
  • Given the Ramsey's special recipe of " not too big", does that mean our Zenny, at 17 hands and no doubt falling into that " too big" catagory, be unacceptable as a brood mare for KJ? I mean, if the Moss' called them up and ask for a date, the Ramsey's would say, NO? NO to the Queen? = [
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    Ha ha. Fat chance, KayJay. I think they were referring to the size of the mares they were looking to buy for themselves for their breeding program. Maybe big mares cost more to feed. LOL. Or maybe they think it's humiliating to have a mare so big that they have to dig a hole for her to stand in so KJ can mount her. lol
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited January 2014
    Given the Ramsey's special recipe of " not too big", does that mean our Zenny, at 17 hands and no doubt falling into that " too big" catagory, be unacceptable as a brood mare for KJ? I mean, if the Moss' called them up and ask for a date, the Ramsey's would say, NO? NO to the Queen? = [
    If I'm not mistaken...The discussion referred to was the Ramsey's own breeding preferences for Kitten's Joy. These are broodmares that they own or purchase and feel are the best match for Kitten's Joy for themselves to breed.

I wouldn't think this article was referring to outside horse owners that wanted to breed their mares to Kitten's Joy.
  • Do you think they would dig a hole for the Queen, VA_IN_CA? Or would they get all like, "Well he is Kitten's Joy, THE Top Sire, so we'll really have to think about it..." OR Would they run and get a shovel just for the Queen? lol
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited January 2014
    Do you think they would dig a hole for the Queen, VA_IN_CA? Or would they get all like, "Well he is Kitten's Joy, THE Top Sire, so we'll really have to think about it..." OR Would they run and get a shovel just for the Queen? lol
    That's an interesting question on how a breeding farm will accommodate off-sized coverings. I'm sure they have a way to work the height difference out...after all a stud farm is a business and need to accommodate their clients.

I know out in the pasture...breeders tend to use something like a steep incline (hill or river embankment) where the tall mare will be placed on the lower side of the incline and the stud on the upper side...this is safer than digging a hole in case the mare/stallion moves forward...you don't want the stallion to step into the hole.

Since thoroughbreds are in a similar range in height (15hh-17hh) which is not all too drastic...(Not like a Welsh pony stud to a Thoroughbred mare)...Does anyone know how breeding farms work out this kind of off-sized situations between thoroughbreds? :o)
  • KylKyl Member
    Ah. Thank you. That makes sense. I was trying to envision a horse with scoliosis. LOL
    I have met a horse that has scoliosis so it is possibl - his name is squiggleback and he's a much loved babysitter for the yearlings at my friend's farm :)
  • Look at how many of these mares were claimed out. The research done to find these mares that were running at varying levels of success, just to be mates for KJ. Shows a commitment to promoting their stallion, no matter what. I hope they continue to be selective about the mares he covers and not be tempted to overbreed him, to just anyone who can pay the fee. I admire the Ramsey's commitment to KJ and his legacy; I hope they continue to guard it well.
  • Interesting that horses can actually get scoliosis, kyla. Thanks for the info.

PG, I think they have a shallow pit at the UVM Morgan Horse farm for overtall mares to stand in. She can't move forward because they have her blocked in, I believe. I mentioned this once before on this Forum somewhere. The breeding takes place indoors in the Breeding Shed, which is actually a big arena that is used as an arena in bad weather.
  • Kitten's Joy might not just be a good race horse sire but also a god dressage sire? http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2014/02/07/kens-kitten-expected-to-go-big-in-dressage/
  • edited February 2014
    Ramsey Farm has two mares in foal to Kittens's Joy for sale today at the Kentucky Winter Mixed Sale and a few more mares tomorow.

Hips 63, 115, 120, 224 and 448…covered by KJ for 2014 foal.

http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogues/2014/Kentucky-Winter-Mixed/Kentucky-Winter-Mixed-new.asp
  • Admiral Kitten and Blue Blue Kitten have been nominated for the Dubai World Cup.
  • Admiral Kitten and Blue Blue Kitten have been nominated for the Dubai World Cup.
    Dubai Kittens

Dubai Kittens
    I'm not sure which race/s but i would assume the World Cup?