California Chrome

Comments

• JanDJanD Member
    Would love to see the King and Queen meet up some day..
  • We had a chestnut 2 yrs ago win in purple colors ;)
  • Thank you for the pictures. He has quite the personality!
  • He is so beautiful! He makes me very excited!
  • TY everyone for the pics. He is an exquisite chestnut and I love his white face. A real standout.
  • Especially_Horses, I started going to Los Alamitos when Kaweah Bar's babys were tearing up the track. Those were the golden days of Quarter Horse racing. Lukas and Baffert trained there back in the day. Too bad it's deteriorated into a place where cheap horses break down a lot. And the grandstand is like going back into time. It's a mess.

But Orange County has a lot of thoroughbred fans. If they did it right by tearing down the grandstand and building a new facility, it would be a hit. I'm not so sure in it's current condition. They have the thoroughbreds in July and December. I'll probably be there both times.

Katella Avenue, here I come . . .
  • @casey, is California Chrome's barn name "Junior"? Because I've been seeing people using that name for him a lot.
  • It beats "Chromy"
  • KalarKalar Member
    @RR14 OMG!! The comparison pics with Sec are amazing! I'm so glad you posted those! CC is like a slightly smaller version of Sec. I had been wondering about the similarities. Also, these pics of CC help me see clearer that his head is not quite as 'Arabian' as I thought. It must have been a trick of the light in a couple of the pics where it looked like he had a more curved-front head. He really stretches out!!! That's something I notice about really good horses. They stretch those front legs way out and grab the ground. To me, it shows confidence and drive. I don't remember if it was Art or Victor that said he loves his job, but he sure acts like it. Very little "encouragement" required. He flies on his own with a wiggle of the reins most of the time. And I noticed those pricked ears, too, RR14. :)
  • KalarKalar Member
    @Rachel, thanks so much for the playful pics. He seems to be smart as a whip, curious and playful just like Z and Sec. Happy campers. :)
  • KalarKalar Member
    @Rachel all the pics you posted are fabulous! The 'bath' shot is hysterical!! :D Looks like the groom found a 'G' spot. LOL!!!
  • KalarKalar Member
    @Especially_Horses I don't think Los Al is gonna be "nondescript" for much longer. With Hollywod Park gone, lots of folks are headed there. It could be a real boon to the neighborhood. ;) I've watched a lot of the quarter horse races on calracing from Los Al. My eyeballs popped out of my head, especially the 300-330 yard races. Good heavens above! It doesn't seem natural that a horse can move that fast!! They have muscles on top of muscles on top of muscles.
  • CC is like a slightly smaller version of Sec. I had been wondering about the similarities.
    I really scrutinized those pics too for a comparison between CC and Sec. I see similarities, but at the same time I was overwhelmed once again with Secretariat’s physical appearance; that shoulder and the power from behind, unbelievable. Thank you God for creating such a magnificent creature.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    Terrific article! Thanks!

"'He only eats one brand—Mrs. Pasture's (from Walnut Creek)," she said. "Any others, he just spits out."' LOL Reminds me of Z and her Guinness. Nothing else would do.

• edited April 2014
    @Especially_Horses I don't think Los Al is gonna be "nondescript" for much longer. With Hollywod Park gone, lots of folks are headed there. It could be a real boon to the neighborhood. ;) I've watched a lot of the quarter horse races on calracing from Los Al. My eyeballs popped out of my head, especially the 300-330 yard races. Good heavens above! It doesn't seem natural that a horse can move that fast!! They have muscles on top of muscles on top of muscles.
    I agree! The timing for Los Al is perfect and they have a wonderful opportunity to turn it into a real showplace for the locals and tourism. They are so very close to Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and even Angel Stadium is a reasonable distance, not to mention they have a golf course next door. I hope their City Council doesn’t blow-it with silly restrictions and whatever else stymie’s business in this economy. They need to start making that place family friendly now. I’d love to be on their marketing team.

BTW….The history of Los Alamitos Race Course and the Vessels Stallion Farm is a great story in itself.

Vessels Stallion Farm website:
    http://www.vesselsstallionfarm.com/
  • edited April 2014

Terrific article! Thanks!

"'He only eats one brand—Mrs. Pasture's (from Walnut Creek)," she said. "Any others, he just spits out."' LOL Reminds me of Z and her Guinness. Nothing else would do.

Mrs. Pastures Cookies for Horses:
    http://www.mrspastures.com/
  • I am absolutely awestruck by California Chrome. To me, he's sort of a variation on Secretariat and Animal Kingdom. And, Animal Kingdom is just about the most beautiful horse I've ever seen.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    @casey, is California Chrome's barn name "Junior"? Because I've been seeing people using that name for him a lot.
    yes, it is.

• RachelRachel Member
    edited April 2014
    Cali Chrome will fly out to Kentucky April 28th

• There's the boy...displaying some 'tude. I LOVE IT!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Here is a back story on the improvements made & the new track.

Los Alamitos Race Course poised to expand thoroughbred schedule
    By Andrew Edwards, Press-Telegram Posted: 12/18/13
    CYPRESS >> As Hollywood Park fades into history this weekend, Los Alamitos Race Course is stretching toward future glory with a $3-million racetrack upgrade to host an expanded slate of thoroughbred races.
    “We’ll be able to run the same races as they run at Santa Anita and Hollywood Park,” said Brad McKinzie, Los Alamitos’ spokesman for the expansion project.
    Besides its signature quarter horse races, Los Alamitos Race Course is limited to relatively low-stakes thoroughbred races, McKinzie said. The expansion will make it possible for the Cypress course to host five weeks of higher-stakes thoroughbred races, which will be spread across next July and December as approved by the California Horse Racing Board. McKinzie said the project would not be taking place if Hollywood Park were not scheduled for closure after the end of its season this Sunday.
    The construction work mostly involves grading a new track. McKinzie said the work of building a one-mile oval course to complement Los Alamitos’ existing 5/8-mile course is likely to be completed by Jan. 20. The track received its permits for construction on Dec. 9 from the city of Cypress.
    Los Alamitos’ location in western Orange County occupies a space between Santa Anita’s home in Arcadia and Del Mar Race Course in San Diego County. For those who attend racetracks, Los Alamitos is known for attracting visitors with weekend events and promotions, whereas Del Mar is more of a vacation destination.
    http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/20131218/los-alamitos-race-course-poised-to-expand-thoroughbred-schedule

Some comments from fan
    The race track is gorgeous. It has an oasis in the middle of the track flourishing with lovely trees and greenery. Downstairs is open with plenty of places to bet, drink, and watch the races as well.
    The Vessels Club has the perks. High seating, great leather chairs, super clean bathrooms, and a dining area.
    The LARC is a unique experience from the normal date night.
    Go out and have a fun time at the races.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Junior is his nickname! Here is story Keta

California Chrome has the shine of a Derby champ
    Colt, unlikely owners next have Santa Anita Derby on the way to Churchill Downs
    By Ed Zieralski U-T San Diego April 2, 2014
    ARCADIA — Their purple jockey silks sport a jackass, symbolizing the name of their operation: DAP Racing. One of the co-owners, Steve Coburn, proudly says DAP stands for “Dumb Ass Partners.”
    Coburn and partner Perry Martin came up with the name after the groom for retired brood mare Love The Chase said anyone who bought that old girl was a “dumb ass.”
    But Coburn and Martin bred Love The Chase to Lucky Pulpit, and now that mare’s first foal, California Chrome, has put these two new horse breeders and owners squarely on the Kentucky Derby trail. Their first foal has won three races in a row — and five wins in nine starts — and could be the morning-line favorite in the Kentucky Derby. But before that, he faces a stern test Saturday in the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby, California’s top Derby prep race.

A win in the Santa Anita Derby against what figures to be a stout field would make the colt nicknamed “Junior” an even more valuable commodity. But don’t look for the Coburns and Martins to divest any part of a horse that won his most recent race, the March 8 San Felipe Stakes, by 7¼ lengths.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Apr/02/horse-racing-california-chrome-kentucky-derby/
  • edited April 2014
    @RR14 OMG!! The comparison pics with Sec are amazing! I'm so glad you posted those! CC is like a slightly smaller version of Sec. I had been wondering about the similarities. Also, these pics of CC help me see clearer that his head is not quite as 'Arabian' as I thought. It must have been a trick of the light in a couple of the pics where it looked like he had a more curved-front head. He really stretches out!!! That's something I notice about really good horses. They stretch those front legs way out and grab the ground. To me, it shows confidence and drive. I don't remember if it was Art or Victor that said he loves his job, but he sure acts like it. Very little "encouragement" required. He flies on his own with a wiggle of the reins most of the time. And I noticed those pricked ears, too, RR14. :)
    Actually, my initials are RR12 =) But isn't it amazing? This horse just keeps getting better and better.,,,, We need more horses like him. And Keta-- I figured that was his barn name! Not great, but not bad either...... Just right. Like he is.