Preakness 2014.

Comments

• LyndaKLyndaK Member
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84873/no-serious-problems-reported-after-derby

Do not know if anyone has posted this link, but anyway here it is on how many of the other colts came out of the race.
  • Exactly so wouldn't that still make Cali Chrome the best horse in the race
  • DePasquale confirmed that We Miss Artie, a Canadian-bred, would be pointed for that country's biggest race, the Queen's Plate, another 1 1/4-mile test for 3-year-olds on the Woodbine Polytrack. The Canadian classic, which carries a $1 million purse, will be run July 6.
  • Disappointed trainer John Sadler said there's a "slight chance" Candy Boy could run in the Preakness after an eventful journey in the Derby under Gary Stevens resulted in a 13th-place finish.

"I'm going to talk to the owners (Lee and Susan Searing) for their feedback on what's next," Sadler said. "I'm fairly certain he's coming back to California (Monday). I'd say about 90% sure. There's a slight chance we'd consider Baltimore, but only a slight one."
  • After watching Tapiture flatten out in the homestretch to finish 15th, trainer Steve Asmussen said the longer-distance races of the Triple Crown series were probably not optimal for the son of Tapit .

"He came out of the race really good," Asmussen said. "We'll shorten up his races a bit. I think he looked competitive to a point and then distance was exposed."

• RachelRachel Member
    Which is pretty much all Tapits, I knew he wouldn't get the distance.
  • Same here but hopefully for Ziconic that won't be an issue
  • alot of derby horses are not going to run the second leg of the triple crown are we going to just give it to california chrome
  • According to DRF in addition to California Chrome Derby runners who will possibly run in the Preakness are Commanding Curve, Ride On curlin, and Danza. New challengers could include Baryn, Dynamic Impact, Kid Cruz, Pablo Del Monte, Ring Weekend, and Social Inclusion.
  • From DRF Baffert says Hoppertunity is definitely out of the Preakness.
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    Social Inclusion would be the one that would worry me.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    It seems more often than not that the fresher horses who skipped the Derby aren't as likely to win the Preakness than a Derby horse. Rachel Alexander was the exception. The Belmont is a different story because, to win the TC, a horse has to run 3 times in 5 weeks. So a fresher horse or a Derby horse that skips the Preakness has a better shot at it than a horse that runs in all 3 TC races. This why the TC is almost out of reach to most of the horses.
  • RachelRachel Member
    nope, the worrisome horse here would be the one thats already at preakness and has already won over the track in the Tesio stakes; Kid Cruz
  • RachelRachel Member
    PLUS Social Inclusion has that bruised foot to worry about as well. he has to heal first
  • I think that if any horse has a great chance to finally disprove this whole "Tapits can't run classic distances" idea, it's Untapable. I hope we'll get the chance to find out at some point, since it won't be the Preakness
  • edited May 2014
    It seems more often than not that the fresher horses who skipped the Derby aren't as likely to win the Preakness than a Derby horse. Rachel Alexander was the exception. The Belmont is a different story because, to win the TC, a horse has to run 3 times in 5 weeks. So a fresher horse or a Derby horse that skips the Preakness has a better shot at it than a horse that runs in all 3 TC races. This why the TC is almost out of reach to most of the horses.
    Rachel Alexandra can't be considered an exception, as she had run in the Oaks the day before (granting that the Oaks is a shorter race). She wasn't fresh. The most recent exception is Bernardini who did not run in the Derby, and as I said back on page 2, he might not have won had Barbaro not broken down . (The second-place horse had been a Derby horse.) Then you have to go back to 2000 to find another Preakness winner who wasn't a Derby horse.

The Belmont is a different story, not just because of schedule but of distance. A horse that can win at the Preakness distance of 9.5f may be out of gas at 12F. And while there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner in ages, there have been several Belmont winners who ran in all three races--some of whom hit the board in all three races.

By the way, it's Rachel Alexandra, not Alexander. I usually let spelling errors slide, but such a fine animal deserves to have her name spelled correctly.
  • i agree but Bayern has been out for a while i believe and we can take Social Inclusion out since he has a bruised foot so the ones that i am worried about are Danza who was very impressive at the derby and Kid Cruz worries me but out of Kid Cruz and Cali Chrome i still think that Cali Chrome is probably going to be the best horse in the field not taking away anything from Bayern or Kid Curz just my opinion
  • I worry about Bayern, he just does not have enough past performance for me to feel comfortable. I honestly think that 9.5 furlongs may be too far for Social Inclusion. He was pretty much done in the stretch of the Wood at 9 furlongs, the extra 1/2 will not do him any favors. So far, I have not seen many that look like they will really like a mile and 1/2 except Honor Code and he will not be there. I don't think California Chrome will like it either, I think it will be too far for him. Glad to say, he is a smart horse ridden by a smart jockey so he may be able to nurse him through. Angel Cordero once commented that he thought he was going to have to literally carry Bold Forbes through the last quarter of the Belmont, Espinoza will just have to figuratively carry CC.
  • The Preakness should be a cake walk for Cali Chrome, unless the Derby took more out of him than his connections expected. Should he win the Preakness, the Belmont would be the much larger concern. There is one horse who I have no doubt can handle the mile and a half, and that is Commanding Curve. Especially if Dallas is conservative with him and skips the Preakness, I think he has the best chance in the Belmont. I love this horse, I just hope he doesn't end up in a TC spoiler role :(
  • AmylizmAmylizm Member
    Has there ever been a mare/filly to win the triple crown
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Has there ever been a mare/filly to win the triple crown
    no....Genuine Risk came the closest...I think
    she won the derby
    got cheated out of the Preakness...IMO....since the rider of the "winner" had to
    smack her across the face with his whip to keep her from passing ...she
    is officially second because the the stewards decided "you DQ in a TC race"
    she finished second in the Belmont....but 8 lengths ahead of the horse
    that "won the Preakness"
    ...now there is a filly TC that has been won...about 5 or 6 times...but its conformation has changed in the past...
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    that's suppose to be "you don't DQ in a TC race"....cant get my edit button to work
  • AmylizmAmylizm Member
    O ok thanks for clarifying
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2014
    As of today, here's who we've got either in, or considering Preakness: California Chrome, Commanding Curve, Danza, Ride On Curlin

also newcomers Bayern, Dynamic Impact, Kid Cruz, Pablo Del Monte, Ring Weekend, Social Inclusion. #preakness2014

Going:

California Chrome
    Ride On Curlin (Joel Rosario will ride)
    Ring Weekend
    Social Inclusion
    Dynamic Impact
    Bayern
    Kid Cruz
    Pablo Del Monte

Concidering race:

Danza
    Candy Boy