Could Ziconic Be Our #13 TC?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2016
    The Derby, yes, too soon. Although a longshot, I don't think the Preakness is totally a "don't even think about".

The Dubai World Cup, Breeder's Cup, Jockey Club Gold Cup....we can only hope that at four he is a major player. I'm with you on dreaming big for those races.
    TC bid? Nay, I say. However: if Ziconic continues to improve at a VERY fast pace... He could have a chance at being a spoiler in the Belmont, methinks =) Or maybe race in a Belmont Undercard. But it would be far too short a notice for him to try at The Derby or Preakness. If I were to think big with him: I would think older horses-- Dubai World Cup, Breeder's Cup, Jockey Club Gold Cup-- would provide a worthy record.
  • Too soon for all TC races. And, JS is conservative. Think a graded stakes, the soonest, would be maybe Belmont undercard, but definitely Saratoga. JS loves Saratoga.
  • JS is conservative, but he did send Giacomo into the Kentucky Derby off of a maiden win only. Yes, Giacomo started at two and was stakes-placed, but a start in the Kentucky Derby off of only a maiden win was ambitious for a trainer like JS.
  • Ziconic does not have the mileage.
  • There are only eight weekends with Derby qualifying races left. Only the San Felipe on 3/12 and Santa Anita Derby on 4/9 are at Santa Anita.

Of course, they could ship Ziconic to the Arkansas Derby or Lexington Stakes at Keeneland on 4/16, but IMO the Derby just isn't realistic.
  • I think everyone has ruled out the Derby.
    There are only eight weekends with Derby qualifying races left. Only the San Felipe on 3/12 and Santa Anita Derby on 4/9 are at Santa Anita.

Of course, they could ship Ziconic to the Arkansas Derby or Lexington Stakes at Keeneland on 4/16, but IMO the Derby just isn't realistic.
  • No TC path in my view, at all.
  • Derby? Most likely not. But not totally out of the realm of possibility. Stranger things have happened.
  • He does not have a clue...
  • marepowermarepower Member
    edited February 2016
    delete