A.P. Indy

Comments

• Kentucky Derby 2014 Prospects (Honor Code):
  • Honor Code – back in action. Finished a distant second in an allowance race on March 12. Was uncharastically lathered, difficult to handle and didn’t want to load into the gate. Trainer Shug McGaughey stated that the Florida Derby and Wood Memorial remain under consideration.
  • Honor Code (14): Allowance race at Gulfstream Park on March 12.
  • ? That already happened
  • Honor Code is #7 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Just as I had mixed feelings about him running in that allowance race, I have mixed feeling about his performance. Getting beat 10 lengths under the circumstances wasn’t a major step backwards, but was it enough to help get him ready for a peak effort on Derby Day? He now has only one race to get battle-tested and dead fit, something he couldn’t have been going into this race, considering he had only six works in 3 1/2 months, with three of them being at 3 furlongs, two at 4 furlongs, and one at 5 furlongs. And he missed some training after suffering a physical setback, delaying his originally scheduled 3-year-old debut. He most likely was fit and sharp enough to win under normal conditions, but Social Inclusion made sure there was nothing normal about that race, as he simply ran Honor Code off his feet in a spectacular record performance. The question now is, did Honor Code get enough out of this race, in which he got a bit warm and balked at the gate, to compete with some very fast horses in the Wood Memorial and put himself in a position to win the Derby? I would feel a lot better about his first race back if he had two more races before the Derby, but he doesn’t, so McGaughey will just have to make the best out of cards dealt him.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/17/derby-dozen-march-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wG31JN9o
  • Honor Code (A.P. Indy - Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat) Shug McGaughey – We are all left to wonder if time is running short on the colt that looked like such a prime Derby horse last fall. The drubbing he received at the hands of Social Inclusion was a bit of a shock to the senses, but remember, it came with everything under the Florida sun against him. Therefore, I am more than willing to give him a pass on that effort, but a little more troubling to me, was the fact that his body language pre-race was not good. So, where does that leave the January 1 favorite for the Derby? Between a rock and a hard place, in my estimation. Shug will not only be pressing to get enough into him to be strong in the final quarter mile at Churchill Downs, but I am not so sure he has a horse that is really ready to want to do the work necessary. I respect everything we all liked last fall, but even with a good prep next time, I fear we may be looking at a short horse on the first Saturday in May.
  • Commissioner – This is a tough call. This Todd Pletcher trained colt ships in second off the layoff, adds blinkers, and gets the services of Johnny V. for his journey today. Those are all positive things. What one must worry about though is what happened in his last start in the Fountain of Youth. I know the track was very speed favoring that day, but he seemed like he didn’t want to run at all. Maybe the addition of blinkers will help, but I am not completely sold. He very well could win, but I am playing against him and will limit his use to underneath in the exotics.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Sid Fernando tweet Sunday March 23, 2014
    They'd been working on Honor Code's hind ankles this winter but it wasn't enough to stop a suspensory going w full training and racing.

• KetaKeta Member
    Ray Paulick ‏tweet Sunday March 23, 2014
    The NYRA just put out press release on HONOR CODE (A.P. Indy) being off #KyDerby trail
    with suspensory injury
  • Damn. I spoke too soon.
  • Commissioner – This colt bobbled a bit at the start and then settled at the back of the pack. He enjoyed an inside, uneventful trip and never threatened the top pair while getting up for the show. He would have to show a lot more to make some noise in the Kentucky Derby. I am not that high on his chances.
  • the reason for that is cuz he grabed a shoe and tore it off. so im throwing this one away. the fact he got up for 3rd despite that is good enough
  • remember back to Mucho Macho Man's 3YO season? That boy couldn't keep shoes to save his life; stepped on himself more than once. Kids that age grow in all different directions at all different times. It's OK....look at Moochie now!
  • Courtesy of Bloodhorse.com:

"Commissioner, headed for the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I), is among three horses multiple Eclipse Award-winning trainer Todd Pletcher plans to send to to Oaklawn Park for the final day of the Racing Festival of the South April 12."

Fingers crossed that the last AP Indy with a shot at getting in to the Kentucky Derby runs well in Arkansas and gets the points he needs! I feel like there is way more potential there than he has really shown so far, especially with losing that shoe in the Sunland. Maybe he'll be another late bloomer like so many of Indy's bloodline, but with Honor Code out now I'm really pulling for Commissioner to at least get a shot at the dance.
  • Happy 25th birthday AP Indy.

If you are on Facebook go to this page and you will see a photo of the grand old man when he was a baby.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Honor-Code/397063650416343
  • Commissioner (AP Indy)
    5: 2-1-1 $189,100
    Owner: WinStar Farm
    Trainer: Todd Pletcher
    Jockey: John Velazquez
    3rd Sunland Derby (G3)
    6th Fountain of Youth (G2)
    1st OC75/NW1 Gulfstream – BSF 91
    1st MSW Saratoga – nine furlongs – BSF 78
    10 Road to Kentucky Derby Points
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 1: Mutuel Field 4/5
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 2: 22-1
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3: Mutuel Field 3-1
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 4: Mutuel Field 5-1
  • Laurie: Commissioner—(A.P. Indy—Flaming Heart, by Touch Gold) gets his third and final shot to show what he can do. The pros: He’s won twice at 1 1/8 miles and is by a Belmont Stakes winner out of a stakes winning dam who is by a Belmont Stakes winner. He’s also a half-brother to Laugh Track, runner up in last year’s BC Sprint. The Pletcher trainee shouldn’t have an issue with distance. The cons: The late-running colt didn’t impress in his first two starts this year. He had no excuse in the Fountain of Youth and was beaten seven lengths on the second turn in the Sunland Park Derby. A jock switch to Mike Smith may help. May not, either. Exotics.

Ashley: Commissioner—All in all, I’m not sure what to make of this regally bred son of A.P. Indy. He ran superbly well in his first three starts but then digressed in the Fountain of Youth. He posted a good speed figure while finishing 3rd last out in the Sunland Derby, but if he couldn’t beat that group, then I’m not sure he can beat this stronger group. In my mind, I only see him getting a piece of the pie if the pace ends up being super quick and then melts. Mike Smith jumps aboard for the first time, which will be good enough reason to betCommissioner for many…but not for me. I’ll limit his use to underneath in exotics.
  • I saw AP Indy in March 2013 at Lanes End Farm. He looked great and is a real character! He was retired from breeding because of a decline in fertility but he has no other health issues that I know about. Lanes End does give tours (check their website at www.lanesend.com for details) for the public so you can get the chance to see him in person. Lanes End sometimes sends their pensioners to other farms where they have a more laid back, quiet retirement, but AP Indy is such a celebrity that he has stayed at the stallion complex. He still has his original stall in the stallion barn and his paddock.

• Commissioner – Danza’s win in the Arkansas Derby really did a lot of damage to the Kentucky Derby dreams of a lot of other connections. I personally didn’t think much of Commissioner's chances after he finished 3rd in the Sunland Derby (10 points) but some may have thought he would do enough in the Arkansas Derby to get in. However, his resume just doesn’t cut it. A 6th place finish coupled with another 6th place finish in the G2 Fountain of Youth leaves his 3rd place effort in the Sunland as his only score in races that awarded points.
  • GOT LUCKY (No. 10) – Hill ‘n’ Dale Equine Holdings’ Got Lucky and Mathis Stable’s My Miss Sophia walked the shedrow at trainer Todd Pletcher’s barn Sunday a day after posting :48 half-mile works here.
  • Kentucky Oaks 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.25.14: