Breaking News

Comments

• Omg, does that mean Goldencents cant run?!
  • That seriously sucks
  • Unless they move him to a new trainer but that is going to be cutting it close. His horses may not be allowed to run. Turns that 'slap on the wrist' into one hell of a wallop.
  • Definitely NOT an O'Neill fan, but I heard he wasn't at the barn... or even in the state... when this drug was given. The buck has to stop somewhere and it boils down to trainers are supposed to know what is going on with the horses under their care even whether they are out to dinner or across the country. He has a long record of drug violations and if he is not guilty himself of this particular one, he should hire more responsible help in the future.
  • My guess: horses schedule for BC races will be entered in assistant trainer's name.
    Second guess: some owners will move horses to another trainer.
    Bottom line: all horses who qualify will run.
    Just a thought.
    Keta
  • Breeders Cup has definitely taken a stronger stand on this issue, which is something that has been needed, but they've also been known to back down on some of their proclamations as well. The rule of two year olds not racing with Lasix was changed rather quickly a few years back. It may be rather harsh, but if it is in the best interest of the horses to make a statement that medication violations will be taken seriously, some of those who do routinely use the drugs will think twice.
  • It has been announced on Goldencent's facebook that he will indeed be racing on Breeders Cup day. And i am assuming so will Wake Up Nick
  • And the use of lasix will be allowed in this years breeders cup, last year it wasnt
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
    finally the old boy wins a race in America! Ever Rider (ARG) won race 4 at Belmont Park, the Temperance Hill stakes going 1 and 5/16th miles (13 furlongs). Ever Rider is a grinder, he won that race stalking in 3rd the whole way around and on the far turn he starts moving up and it was a battle down the stretch but he prevailed by a neck. Replay: http://www.nyra.com/belmont/results/20141004/
    Not to mention he also did it on a sloppy wet track to boot with Slim Shadey in the mix as well.
  • No Nay Never on a 7 month layoff just won the Woodford stakes at Keeneland
  • SA Press Box ‏@SAPublicity · 56s57 seconds ago
    Jockey Alex Conchari received ruling today from CHRB suspending him 5 days for 'careless riding' (Rule #1699) on Scene Queen in Fri 7th race

• No Nay Never on a 7 month layoff just won the Woodford stakes at Keeneland
    What a great effort after a seven month layoff. Hopefully he will only progress off of that race. And I've always loved that name.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/KEE/2014/10/4/5/woodford-s-presented-by-keeneland-select-gr-iii
  • He is going to be in the BC Sprint (on dirt) not the BC Sprint on turf
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
    Wise Dan almost gives his fans a broken heart

He won by a neck just when you thought he was going to lose!
  • Wise Dan now possible for the BC Classic
  • Wise Dan now possible for the BC Classic
    Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    On NBCSN, Fink emphatically says "no" to Classic. Says BC Mile is goal. Good coverage all around on subject by @nickluck
  • Gary Stevens will be back working horses in 2 weeks!
    Angie A. Stevens @angieastevens1 16s17 seconds ago @RealOneUB2 he's doing well! He will be back working horses in 2 weeks!! It's killing him to wait! @ABRLive @santaanitapark @JockeysGuild
  • Gary Stevens will be back working horses in 2 weeks!
    Angie A. Stevens @angieastevens1 16s17 seconds ago @RealOneUB2 he's doing well! He will be back working horses in 2 weeks!! It's killing him to wait! @ABRLive @santaanitapark @JockeysGuild
    Wow! Gary Stevens is unstoppable! I'm excited to see him back soon.

• Wise Dan was absolutely wonderful in winning the Shadwell Turf Mile with his elegant, long strides at the end, especially after his poor start to the race. It was definitely a gutsy, full of heart effort from the magnificent gelding and totally left me breathless!! What a horse!!! I can understand Mr. Fink's position with keeping his horse where he does his best, but it is the general media folks who are always clamoring for him to do more. The horse has done plenty in my humble opinion and I'm just happy he is still doing so well and going strong after his colic surgery and he still wants to get out there and win. Wow.
    How exciting that Gary Stevens is coming back!! That is great news also!!
  • They ought to couple Stevens with Dan... and then just get out of the way!
  • Important - please read the entire letter. Below are excerpts from letter.
    Doug O'Neill ‏on Sunday October 5, 2014
    Here is the letter that was sent from Doug to our owners yesterday. If you would like to read his thoughts
    From letter:
    I have never contested a medication violation in the past. The only exception is the elevated TCO2 on our lovely filly, Argenta in 2010. My other violations were legal, race day medications that had come back at elevated levels. Those were settled with a small fine. I have had nearly 12,000 starts with our horses. Though one violation is too many, I have had 19 in total which my math says is 99.985% of the horses have had no violations.

However, Argenta’s case was much more serious. I spent nearly the cost of my home to prove my innocence, and I did. I have attached the CHRB ruling in this section. Even though I was proven innocent, I was given a 45 day suspension because of the trainer insurer rule.

Also from letter:
    Lots of folks are walking in and out of those barns. Could someone that was in the barn accidently drop something in the feed? I suppose anything is possible. My vet said that a possibility is that a drug in the same “family” of this is diazepam, and that it is in just about every vet’s truck. (It is known to cause false positives for oxazepam) He said vets apply it when horses need to be castrated, and this drug is used in surgery rooms, also. Could a horse that had been recently castrated been in one of those barns- and urinated on the soil of the stall? My vet says absolutely because this has happened with other medications found in such small amounts, and most recently happened in Canada.

http://www.dougoneillracing.com/state.html
  • Good letter.
    The Queen (the one in England) had horses disqualified because of contaminated feed.
    Looks like it can happen to anyone.
  • It wouldnt be good to have a rider change for Dan. Gary has never riden Dan before
    They ought to couple Stevens with Dan... and then just get out of the way!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Dont mess with sucess...